Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Need to replace SROMBSAS18E with other HW Raid Controller

WForu
Beginner

Hi

We have a S5000PAL Mainboard with a SROMBSAS18E RAID Controller.

A SAS-Midplane for SR2500 (with 6 Disks)

The RAID Controller is broken, but I have a spare HW Raid Controller Adaptec 6805E.

Can I replace the SROMBSAS18E RAID Controller with this one?

And how to connect the HW Raid Controller Adaptec 6805E (could not find any docu)

Many thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
David_A_Intel

The RAID configuration you current have is based on the SAS-midplane board (Active Midplane). This setup provides a direct connection from the RAID controller to the backplane. This is why you might notice that there are no cables from the RAID controller (midplane) to the backplane.

In order to use your Adaptec* card, we need to remove the current midplane and install a passive midplane (see image) which will allow you to connect your RAID controller to the backplane.

Although the RAID configuration is stored in the drives, it is uncertain if your replacement RAID controller would import the configuration of the drives.

Feel free to approach http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Intel Customer Support for proper follow up on this process.

WForu
Beginner

Thanks David,

I don't need the old configuration of the drives. I don't need the data anymore. I just wanted to re-use the server with our spare RAID Controller.

Do you know where I can find more information about the Passive Mid-plane Board? Or where to buy?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

The ordering code for the passive midplane is FALPASMP. You may want to contact http://locate.intel.com/ Intel® resellers to find out if the still have the part available.

In the past, customers have been able to locate the item on online retailers such as Amazon.com, eBay, etc.

0 Kudos
WForu
Beginner
0 Kudos