Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Nehalem processor equivalent to E5260 Xeon

idata
Employee

Hi,

I use a server with 2 x 3.3Ghz E5260 CPU , and am about to migrate to a Nehalem X5500 server range. I want to chose the approprate equivalent N ehalem processor.

Our application has two very busy threads, and many more or less idle ones. Most of the I/O is TCP/IP between the processes and external entities.

Under these conditions would the X5540 running at 2.53 GHz nominal be considered as an equivalent to the E5260, given the two busy cores can overclock. Can overclocking happen indefnately as long as the remianing core are not busy?

Do I need to move up to a faster clock speed to gain equivalence?

Best regards,

Keith

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JLodh
New Contributor II

Hi Keith,

X5540 is apparently a very good choice keeping in view your concerns however if you are also concerned about your budget, you can scale down to X5530 which runs at 2.4GHz and would equally serve the performance but save you more than $200 (depends on the pricing you are getting in your region).

As for overclocking the cores, you can disable and enable individual cores based on your application requirements and the cores can be overclocked giving you higher performance gains over it's native speed.

Hope this helps. For any further assistance, feel free to write to us.

Thank you, have a great day!

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green, Save The Environment!

0 Kudos