Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Oracle VM on ESRT-2 mirror on S1200V3RPL

AIlie1
Beginner

I have a motherboard S1200V3RPL with 2 HDDs. I configured a RAID-1 using the ESRT2 provided by the motherboard, and I tried to install multiple Virtualization solutions including Oracle VM.

Oracle VM 3.2.7 is based on RedHat/Oracle Linux 5.x for which I found the drivers here: Download Center

I unarchived the zip downloaded and I copied to a USB drive.

I started the installation from Oracle VM CD, and I passwd the following arguments:

mboot.c32 xen.gz --- vmlinuz linux dd noprobe=ata1 noprobe=ata2 noprobe=ata3 noprobe=ata4 --- initrd.img

When I was asked for the disk drivers, I pointed to the DUDs\megasr-15.04.2013.1016-1-rhel50-U9-64.img file, which was causing no errors

But in the screen for selecting the target installation storage I have nothing.

Any thoughts? Any other virtualization option?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

The link didn't come through correctly - you are using this download?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22135&lang=eng&OSVersion=Red%20Hat%20%20Linux%20*&DownloadType= Download Center

And you are using the ESRT2 RAID with the RKSATA4R5 key, not the onboard RSTe software RAID option?

The only other thing I can think of is making sure you're on the latest firmware.

0 Kudos
AIlie1
Beginner

Hello Dan,

Thanks for bringing that the link is not correct. Indeed the correct link is one posted by you.

I am not using the key - that one is needed just for RAID5 as per documentation. I want to use it for RAID-1.

I tried to use ESRT2 RAID. The onboard RSTe is seen by the operating systems as 2 separate hard-drives.

In the meantime I succeeded to install Oracle Enterprise Linux 6.5 directly on ESRT2, but I would love to have ESRT2 on Oracle VM (which is a RedHat 5.x behind).

Thank you,

Alin

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Is Oracle VM based on RedHat 5.xu6 or later, though? U6 was as far back as that driver will support, I'm afraid.

0 Kudos