Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4297 Discussions

Oracle VM on ESRT-2 mirror on S1200V3RPL

AIlie1
Beginner

I have a motherboard S1200V3RPL with 2 HDDs. I configured a RAID-1 using the ESRT2 provided by the motherboard, and I tried to install multiple Virtualization solutions including Oracle VM.

Oracle VM 3.2.7 is based on RedHat/Oracle Linux 5.x for which I found the drivers here: Download Center

I unarchived the zip downloaded and I copied to a USB drive.

I started the installation from Oracle VM CD, and I passwd the following arguments:

mboot.c32 xen.gz --- vmlinuz linux dd noprobe=ata1 noprobe=ata2 noprobe=ata3 noprobe=ata4 --- initrd.img

When I was asked for the disk drivers, I pointed to the DUDs\megasr-15.04.2013.1016-1-rhel50-U9-64.img file, which was causing no errors

But in the screen for selecting the target installation storage I have nothing.

Any thoughts? Any other virtualization option?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

The link didn't come through correctly - you are using this download?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22135&lang=eng&OSVersion=Red%20Hat%2... Download Center

And you are using the ESRT2 RAID with the RKSATA4R5 key, not the onboard RSTe software RAID option?

The only other thing I can think of is making sure you're on the latest firmware.

AIlie1
Beginner

Hello Dan,

Thanks for bringing that the link is not correct. Indeed the correct link is one posted by you.

I am not using the key - that one is needed just for RAID5 as per documentation. I want to use it for RAID-1.

I tried to use ESRT2 RAID. The onboard RSTe is seen by the operating systems as 2 separate hard-drives.

In the meantime I succeeded to install Oracle Enterprise Linux 6.5 directly on ESRT2, but I would love to have ESRT2 on Oracle VM (which is a RedHat 5.x behind).

Thank you,

Alin

Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Is Oracle VM based on RedHat 5.xu6 or later, though? U6 was as far back as that driver will support, I'm afraid.