Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Our client need the RAM extending for Server System R2308WTTYSR has equipped with four Crucial CT32G4RFD424A modules.

ATere3
Novice

The country local market has out of stock the identical modules. Moreover, our distributors cannot to approve the compatibility of old modules with any of new ones and have not any way to give us to try them out before we made pay the order.

We suppose that the CT32G4RFD4266 might to work mixed with CT32G4RFD424A but we have not sure.

Probably has somebody been using the mixed (2133/2400/2666 MHz) modules on the S2600WTTR motherboard?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ATere3
Novice

Hi,

I just informing that all done.

As I wrote already about our plans, we supposed the DIMMs have to populated into different banks. We decided to installed both old and new modules into blue slots only, which are A1, B1, C1, D1, E1, F1, G1, H1. The server system identified all of DIMMs absolutely out of the questions.

So, you can be sure that the different frequencies DIMMs can be install together into the ‘R2308WTTYSR’ Server System and 'CT32G4RFD4266' is working mixed with 'CT32G4RFD424A'. Only you have to won’t mix these DIMMs among one bank.

Thanks for your attention.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello ATere3,

Thank you for joining the community

For complete compatibility information you can check the Intel Server Configurator Tool. It is fairly straight forward and will show all tested compatible components so you can check on different manufacturers and models.

For your particular case both models CT32G4RFD424A and CT32G4RFD4266 show as compatible and validated. What we do not recommend is to mix different models whenever possible.

Hope this helps

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
ATere3
Novice

Alas, we haven't that option, which you recommended, so we will have to mix.

Maybe have you an advice of the best choice of DIMM's slots that will having to populated with these models?

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello ATere3,

There is no particular recommendation when mixing RAM DIMMs. But for memory population rules please check the Technical Product Specifications document

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello ATere3,

Do you have any further details, updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue?

This thread will be marked as resolved automatically in the next 72 hours if no activity is received.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
ATere3
Novice

In that situation, the Intel’s recommendation were not feasible. We could not found any regulated or recommended techniques out, which might be usable in the real world. Therefore, we forced to order the ‘not-recommended’ modules. We are waiting a delivery of CT32G4RFD4266 DIMMs and we will try to run them in the mixed mode. On next week, we hope to inform that community about our results.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello ATere3,

I am just following up to double check if you were able to get some progress about this RAM compatibility situation. If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as resolved. This support interaction will be marked as resolved automatically in the next 72 hours if no activity is received.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
ATere3
Novice

I am sorry we did not the installation this week. Because the customer has been very busy as one’s business schedule so we could not make the server shutdown. Besides, at moment, the customer did not set a new appointment date.

I would not like to post one more unnecessary message because we will not finish in next 72 hours.

Unless we succeed well, I think I might to open a next topic to explain a situation with mixed 2400MHz and 2666MHz DIMMs modules, else you can be sure that these modules could mixed in case they are installing in different banks.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello ATere3,

We might keep this thread open for another week if you consider that is a good timeframe for you to get the results of mixing memory DIMMs types. Just let me know if you think this will work for you.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello ATere3,

Just following up to doublecheck if you have any updates. Look forward to hear from you

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
ATere3
Novice

Hi,

I just informing that all done.

As I wrote already about our plans, we supposed the DIMMs have to populated into different banks. We decided to installed both old and new modules into blue slots only, which are A1, B1, C1, D1, E1, F1, G1, H1. The server system identified all of DIMMs absolutely out of the questions.

So, you can be sure that the different frequencies DIMMs can be install together into the ‘R2308WTTYSR’ Server System and 'CT32G4RFD4266' is working mixed with 'CT32G4RFD424A'. Only you have to won’t mix these DIMMs among one bank.

Thanks for your attention.

0 Kudos