Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

P4308C9P4MHGC high speed coolers

SequR
Beginner

Similar problem.

Fans are noisy. One of them broke down because of this. I had to change it.

I send all the data that I could collect .....

https://yadi.sk/d/hYezB_wN5iGQ6w

I updated the BIOS on BIOS_R02.06.0007_package_Romley_Platforms, but it did not help.

Please help .... What makes them spin so much? Where is the breakdown? What needs to be replaced?

I suspect that the fact is that the system thinks that some fans are not spinning. Although the system is connected to a total of 5 case fans and two in the power supply.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JoseH_Intel
Hello SequR, Thank you for joining the community. Could you tell when this full speed fan issue started to happen? Did you updated BIOS in order to try to fix this issue? Looking at the sysinfo log if shows some thermal readings are not correct which could be triggering the fans to rev up. How many processors and power supplies are installed? Could you attach the part numbers for the RAM installed? Will look forward for your updates Regards. Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SequR
Beginner

The problem was originally. At the time of buying.

I turned to the then still working Russian-language forum, where I was provided with a link to the firmware update. The update then solved the problem.

Three years everything was fine. Periodically (semi-annually), the coolers were started to rotate at an increased speed, but this was caused by the failure of the power supply units (there are two installed). The LED of one of them began to glow orange. But about three months ago, the problem was out of control.

I send a photo of the memory module. They are installed four on one processor. The slot for the second processor is empty.

https://yadi.sk/d/RF0ODpg4CoJzCQ

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello SequR, Thank you for the additional information. We are further analyzing your case and will get back in contact with you as soon as possible. Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello SequR, Could you try updating your BIOS with the package you can download from here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26957?product=56333 Follow the instructions in the S2600CP_Update_Instructions.txt file and pay attention to the section "Standard Update Procedure from the embedded EFI Shell" where it explains the update through EFI process. Make sure you update all modules, it seems that your FRUSDR is running a previous version and that could cause the problem you are facing. Remember to let the process finish completely, sometimes you can get a black or empty screen but do not force reboot the server. Doing so may leave your system inoperable. Let us know how it goes after that. Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SequR
Beginner

Yes ...., fan speed has decreased !!!!

Thank....

However, there is an old problem with power supplies.

One of them flashes green.

There are triggers in the Dashboard.

Maybe this is not critical, but still I would like to understand what it is and whether it can be fixed.

I send a report after running UpdateBMC.nsh and UpdateFRUSDR.nsh

https://yadi.sk/d/nQUrMBW9u1bu8w

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello SequR, Great to hear that the fan issue was resolved. Would it be possible for you to swap the PSU units so that we can find out if the problem is the PSU itself or that area of the chassis? Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SequR
Beginner

Power supply places changed.

The situation has not changed. The LED flashes on the left. So the power supply is not to blame.

Summary in Active System Console:

https://yadi.sk/i/4Xc7RsOPiCbdFw

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
SequR, There is an article that might be related to this behavior here, you may want to take a look: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007137/server-products.html Could you try shutting down the server and then removing the PSU on the right and leaving only the left one connected? This is with the purpose of checking if then the left PSU becomes active and the led light stops blinking. Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SequR
Beginner

I removed the PSU on the right, started the server, waited for Windows to load. LED flashing has stopped.

But when I put the PSU back in, the flashing of the left LED resumed.

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
SequR, In this case we can confirm that the behavior observed matches the one described in the article that I shared with you in my last communication and one of the PSUs becomes dormant or on low power consumption mode while the other one becomes active. Therefore, there is nothing to worry about really, as long as you keep your equipment protected with let's say battery backup and surge protection. Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello SequR, I am checking back with you to see if you need anything else. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SequR
Beginner

No questions yet, thanks ....

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
SequR, Thank you. If any other questions arise we will be happy to assist. Regards, Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SequR
Beginner

Coolers are noisy again. BIOS flew apparently.
Please give a download link without FRUSDR

0 Kudos