Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Powering the Intel S2600TPR in a 3rd party chassis

NJr_
Beginner

I'm looking into powering the S2600TPR motherboard in a 3rd party chassis. I noticed that there are two main power connectors and an auxiliary power connector as well. I was wondering if there was an adapter to connect power to this motherboard using an ATX power supply? If so what is the part number? If there is no power adapter cable how can I go about powering it?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi macrules34,

Please refer to the article https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/server-products/server-boards/000007258.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/server-products/server-boards/000007258.html where you can find a list of compatible server chasis for your board. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Best regards,

Franklin S.

Intel® Technical Support

0 Kudos
NJr_
Beginner

Hi Franklin,

I'm talking about a third party chassis not an intel chassis. It was mentioned in S2600TPR manual that this board could be used in a 3rd party chassis. So I was wondering how this would be powered since the power connectors are not of any particular standard like ATX? Is there a power adapter that would allow you to connect to an ATX power supply?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

macrules34,

Would you please let us know the make and model of the power supply that you want to use? Once we get that I might be able to find a workaround from our engineering department.

Thanks,

Franklin S.

Intel® Technical Support

0 Kudos
NJr_
Beginner

Franklin,

I plan on using an Athena Power AP-MFATX22P. Here is a link to the site: http://www.athenapower.com/product/power-supply/flex-atx/ap-mfatx22p AP-MFATX22P | athenapower.com . I will need the two SATA power connectors to power my two SATA drives.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi macrules34,

I hope you are doing well today.

My understanding is that you are planning to use the Intel server board S2600TPR in a third party chassis, but you are not able to find how to connect the ATX power supply Athena Power AP-MFATX22P. In order to power up this board, the power supply should come with two 6pin Minifit Jr* connectors, which can be used to deliver 12amps per pin or 60+Amps total. If the power supply does not come with these connectors, you may need to add an adapter.

The backup (or auxiliary) power connector is used for power control when the baseboard is used in a 3rd party chassis.

For more information you can check the topic: Connector and Header from the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/S2600TP_HNS2600TP_TPS_R1_48.pdf Technical Product Specification, page 69.

I hope this information clarify your query.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel® Technical Support.

0 Kudos
NJr_
Beginner

Jeremiah,

So I would need an adapter to convert the Athena power supply (ATX forum factor) to the two minifit jr connectors and the backup power connector? Does intel have such an adapter or would I have to make my own?

Thanks,

Macrules34

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi macrules34,

Thank you for quick response.

Regarding Backup Power Control Connector, it is expected that the customer will use only pin 7 or pin 8 for delivering standby power. The connector is capable of delivering up to 3 amps. Connector type is the AMPMODU MTE Interconnection System or equivalent.

I will check with engineering if is mandatory for you to use this connector and also check if there is a part number for us to provide you the minifit connector.

Your paciant is highly appreciated

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel(R) Technical Support.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi macrules34,

In response to your previous question: "So I would need an adapter to convert the Athena power supply (ATX forum factor) to the two minifit jr connectors and the backup power connector? Does intel have such an adapter or would I have to make my own?'

This is something the customer has to do on his own.

You will need 2 - 2x3 12v outputs on your power supply to fire this board up. What happens here is that our power distribution system was custom build for our H2000G chassis:
  • The power distribution boards on the chassis will distribute power through the system's backplane (here is where all the Power signaling is handled).
In your case you are using a third party chassis so this power distribution board will not fit.

I hope this information clarifies your question.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel® Technical Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello macrules34,

I'm following up with you to see if there is anything else I can help you with. Feel free to contact us, more than glad to assist you.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel(R) Technical Support.

0 Kudos
NJr_
Beginner

I am well thank you. I have no other questions, if I do I'll be sure to post on this forum again. Thanks for your assistance.

Thanks,

Macrules34

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Macrules34,

I'm glad we were able to help.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel(R) Technical Support
0 Kudos