Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Problem with RS3WC080 Raidcontroller

NHofm
Beginner

Mainboard: SC2600CP2R mainboard with 2 Xeon CPU's and 128 GB Ram, latest firmware, works perfekt.

RaidControler: RS3WC080 with 4x1TB Seagate Intel-certificated SAS Drives, latest firmware.

i am able to create a virtual device (raid-5 array with state optimal, 3 x 1 TB + 1 hotspare), but can't declare as boot-device, boot device is always "none".

This happens in boot-mode legacy (configuration with CTRL-R) and in boot.mode UEFI (configuration over PCI-Configuration -> UEFI Option Rom Control -> Storage Controler)

Installation of VMWARE 6.5 or Windows Server 2016 stops with "no boot device found"

I spend a lot of time, but can't find any error.

I would be very happy if somebody can help me

Norbert

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Norbert,

Regarding your question, "Using a RS3WC080 and installing MWARE 6.5 or Windows Server 2016 stops with "no boot device found"".

For troubleshooting purpose please enter the system board BIOS and disable the on board RAID. Please use the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/s2600cp/sb/g26942005_s2600cp_p4000cp_tps_rev19.pdf Technical Product Support, to enter the BIOS page 54 and disable the onboard RAID controllers. Also you will be able to verify that the RS3WC080 is set as the only boot device.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
NHofm
Beginner

Hello Henry, Onboard Raid is disabled

same for sSATA port 0-3.

now from advanced setup into the uefi option rom control.

if i go into the controller management i get this error, i don't no what is mean

but i am not able to select a boot device

i configured a raid 5 virtual drive named SYSVOL with state optimal

the drives are seagate ST1000NX0323,

how can i define aworking boot device ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Norbert,

Thank you for the information. I am going to try and get the same hardware and do a LAB to provide you with a more detail information.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Norbert,

Thank you for the information. Can you please enter the BIOS of the RS3WC080. And recreate the Volume and please ensure to initialize the volume and provide me a print screen on the results.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
NHofm
Beginner

Hello Henry,

sorry for my late answer, but i tried a lot of things to get the Server working:

First ich changed the RS3CW080 to a new RS3CW080.

no success.

Second i changed the S2600CW2R to a new S2600CW2R

no success

I can configure the Controller in legacy / or in EFI mode , the report after creation of a virtual raid 5-drive is ok, the initialisation is ok, the virtual raid 5 status is optimal.

So if i boot Windows Server 2016 from a USB_Boot-stick, first i see on the screen "no virtual drive registered in the Bios".

On Windows Boot-Device-Selection-Screen you see a virtual drive with 1,8 TB, which is ok, but Windows reports: no Installation on this device possible.

even if i load the raid drivers from a USB-device there is no change.

If i boot VMWARE 6U1 vmware sees the virtual 1,8 TB raid5 device, but is also unable to install on this device.

VMWARE report the device not as local device rather as "Remote Device".

i never had such a problem with a intel server and this raid controllers,

The Controller is patched in 3 Steps to the newest Firmware and also the S2600CW2R has the latest FW.

What else can i do ?

Best regards Norbert Hofmann

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Norbert,

Thank you for the information. I still trying to gather the necessary Hardware for the LAB. I am just missing the HDD SAS. I will get back with soon.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
NHofm
Beginner

Hello Henry,

the SAS HDD's are Seagate ST1000NX0323 2,5", the case is a Chenbro SR11266E-ATX with 12 GB SATA/SAS Backplane

Best regards,

Norbert Hofmann

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Norbert,

Thank you for the updated information on the HDD model. I will get back with soon.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Norbert,

Thank you for your patience and I am still to gather the necessary HW for the LAB. The problem is to get similar HDD. I will get back with soon.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Norbert,

Thank you for your patience and I am still to running the LAB but I am afraid the RAID controller I have is damage. I will be getting another one. I will get back with soon.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Terz,

Thank you for your patience and I'll like to apologize on the delays, but I was sick and was unable to do your LAB. But I am back and will start as soon a possible. I will get back with soon.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Terz,

Thank you for your patience and I've tested with only 2 HDD and it works fine. I am still waiting for the 3rd HDD. I will get back with soon.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Terz

I am going to send you a private message to gather your contact information in order to expedite the resolution of your case.
0 Kudos