Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Problem with S5500BC

idata
Employee

I purchased this board last year along with (mid Oct 2010)

E5520 Xeon and fan

SC5650DP case

Seagate hard disc - on certified list

4 x Kingstom 2GB memory - Intel certified KVR1066D3D8R7SK2/4GI) total 8GB

When the parts arrived, the memory which was sent was NOT certified but it was installed anyway.

When booting, the board always gave 3 short quick beeps.

I ram Memtest 86+ for many hours without a problem.

Then on 30 Oct 2009 the server rebooted with

Num : 585

Time Stamp : 10/30/2009-16:27:28

Sensor Type, Name and Number : Memory /Mmry ECC Sensor (# 0x02)

Event Description : CRITICAL event: Mmry ECC Sensor reports uncorrectable error. There has been an uncorrectable ECC or other uncorrectable memory error for the memory module DIMM = A1.

Generator ID : SMI Handler (Channel # 00h)

and on Nov 9th

Num : 1228

Time Stamp : 11/09/2009-14:06:47

Event Description : CRITICAL event: Mmry ECC Sensor reports uncorrectable error. There has been an uncorrectable ECC or other uncorrectable memory error for the memory module DIMM = A1.

That memory was returned and the correct Intel certified Kingston 2GB (4 off) was sent. 10th Dec 2009

This memory was installed, but the bios still always gives those 3 beeps when powering up.

Memtest 86+ was run for 24 hours without error.

I contacted Intel via phone and the support person told me that those 3 short beeps were normal and NOT an indication of a memory error.

For a few weeks I could not do much testing due to family health resons.

For the past few weeks I have been able to do some testing.

The OS installed is Win 2008 Server R2 which runs a few virtual machines.

Twice when one of the virtual machines (XP Pro) was running Folding @ Home the complete system rebooted (Blue screen of death on Win 2008 R2)).

Then on 27th Jan 2010 the following occured

Num : 1936

Time Stamp : 01/27/2010-20:06:52

Event Description : CRITICAL event: Mmry ECC Sensor reports uncorrectable error. There has been an uncorrectable ECC or other uncorrectable memory error for the memory module DIMM = A2.

I do not feel that there is an actual problem with the memory but more of a problem with the Ram slots on the motherboard.

I have tried the memory using 1 stick at a time, 2 sticks at a time etc but it still gives 3 short quick beeps from the bios when booting.

Does anyone have an idea whether this is a problem with the S5500BC board and should I have it returned under RMA?

Martin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

What is the memory model you actually installed? It DOES look like memory issue. And what Intel support person told you was true - the three short beeps are normal during POST. Instead, three long beeps indicates memory error, and if you got that beep most likely you won't get display on screen.

Btw how did you populate your DIMMs? Suppose you have two processors and four DIMMs, you should populate slots A1, B1, D1 and E1 (all blue slots).

idata
Employee

Hi,

As my initial post stated

I purchased this board last year along with (mid Oct 2010)

E5520 Xeon and fan

SC5650DP case

Seagate hard disc - on certified list

4 x Kingstom 2GB memory - Intel certified KVR1066D3D8R7SK2/4GI) total 8GB

The above states E5520 CPU which is a single CPU.

The memory was also listed as above.

The RAM is installed in A and B as there is only ONE CPU.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

I see... I'd suggest you swap DIMM slots to isolate the error. Also, please update BIOS/BMC firmware if you haven't done so.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

The system stopped again yesterday morning with an ECC error in DIMM A1.

So far, it has stopped with ECC errors in DIMM A1 and DIMM A2 with both certified and Non-certified RAM.

I have just now swapped A1 with B1 and A2 with B2.

I note that the system gives 3 beeps when the USB keyboard and USB mouse are plugged in but gives 2 beeps when they are both unplugged.

Martin

0 Kudos