Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Problems installing MPIO Drivers on SBS 2008

idata
Employee

I have a new SBS 2008 install on a Modular Server System MFSYS25 we have dual SCM Controllers installed. Every time i try to install the MPIO Drivers on SBS 2008 I get a failed to install. I look in the Add/Remove programs and its there is also a MPIO item in the control panel but the drivers are not appearing to take and I'm still seeing all the drives twice. I also get an error when I try to uninstall.

Is there any special thing that needs to happen to install on SBS 2008? Our other Standard 2008 system on this same unit are not having any problem. only SBS

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

I just found this and ran through the steps.

Shut down the OS

Remove the second SCM

Reboot the Compute Module

Run regedit

Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem

If NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation exists, set the value to 0

If NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation does not exist, create and set the value to 0

Install the MPIO driver

Install the second SCM

However since the MPIO Drive appears to be half installed I'm still running into problems. How can I remove the MPIO Software fully so I can reinstall? The Repair install does not appear to do anything.
0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

With SBS, I've had reports that customers had to reinstall the OS to get MPIO drivers working properly. I'm not sure why SBS requires a reinstall, instead of just allowing the drivers to update, but that's fixed the issue in other cases.

0 Kudos
SKirb
Novice

I have a solution that does noit require a reinstall of the OS>

I have a SBS Server 2008 X64 server and was in the same situation where the MPIO driver would not uninstall and would not install. I found a work around.

I ran into the same problem reported above with my SBS 2008 X64 Server. it is not possible to uninstall the MPIO driver. My Problem that under Device Manager System Devices the "Intel Storage Controller Device specific Module" entry is missing. I tried the intel solution of changing the registry key

6. If NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation exists, set the value to 0

However this did not fix the issue where the MPIO driver could not be installed and it could not be uninstalled.,

In desperation I went to the Device Manager and selected Add Legacy Hardware, Selected System Device and Have Disk and browsed to the path "C:\Program FIles(X86)\Inte\Storage Controller" and added the "Intel Storage Controller Device specific Module" software through this mechanism.

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
SKirb
Novice

I ran into the same problem reported above with my SBS 2008 X64 Server. it is not possible to uninstall the MPIO driver. My Problem that under Device Manager System Devices the "Intel Storage Controller Device specific Module" entry is missing. I tried the intel solution of changing the registry key

6. If NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation exists, set the value to 0

However this did not fix the issue where the MPIO driver could not be installed and it could not be uninstalled.,

In desperation I went to the Device Manager and selected Add Legacy Hardware, Selected System Device and Have Disk and browsed to the path "C:\Program FIles(X86)\Inte\Storage Controller" and added the "Intel Storage Controller Device specific Module" software through this mechanism.