Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4751 Discussions

Question regarding QAT 8970 on Windows Server 2019/2022

ErikDabrowsky
Beginner

Hi,

I'm currently using the Intel Integrated Performance Primitives library to do some SHA hashing in our product. I'd like to try using the QAT 8970 hardware accelerator to perform the hashing to see if it's faster and if it reduces CPU load.

I downloaded the QAT drivers and software library for windows version 1.7.W.1.8.0-0010 and driver (1.70.18.10) and found out that the Intel QAT Provider for CNG doesn't appear to include hashing primitives.

Is there any updated code that would allow me to use the QAT8970 HBA for hashing or is there documentation where I can call the driver directly via IOCTL (DeviceIoControl) or something?

Thanks,

Erik Dabrowsky

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello ErikDabrowsky, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. 

We will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello ErikDabrowsky, 

Hope you are doing great and staying safe, regarding your questions, there is no updated QAT driver, you are already using the latest one. The QAT documentation can be found here but there is no particular information regarding your specific inquiry (the closest one is the API documentation that describes the QAT APIs):

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/topic-technology/open/quick-assist-technology/overview.html

It is also important to take into consideration that the QAT driver for Windows* is supported only in Windows* Server, and the driver is what manages the card. Please try using Windows* server if possible. In case this is not an option, the limitation would be tied to what the driver can or cannot perform. 

Best regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
ErikDabrowsky
Beginner

Josue,

Thanks for the reply. I am currently using Windows Server 2019. Can you ask the developers in charge of the QAT driver and library for windows if they have any plans to make SHA hashing primitives (SHA1, SHA2 etc) available in the API under windows server?

Thanks,

Erik Dabrowsky

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello ErikDabrowsky, 

I will check internally and post back as soon as possible. 

Best regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello ErikDabrowsky, 

The team in charge confirmed there are no plans to implement this. 

Let me know if you have further doubts. 

Best regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello ErikDabrowsky, 

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards,  

Josue O. 

0 Kudos