Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

R1304BTLSHBNR Windows SBS 2008 R2 UEFI 1st boot failure after install on ESRT2 RAID10

Jump to solution

I do have that R1304BTLSHBNR server with 4 x 2TB constellation drives in it. In BIOS the RAID option is set to ESRT2 (*LSI). I do have additional USB DVD drive to boot the Windows 2008R2 (actually Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials, but that is 2008 R2). Whatever I do, I can't run the Windows 2008R2 on a GPT RAID volume.

My installation procedure is as follows:

1. I set the first boot device UEFI USB DVD ( BIOS USB is deleted from the list just to be sure)

2. Boot from that option

3. Windows instaler starts

4. Load driver for ESRT2 -

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19991&lang=eng Download Center

(I have also tried http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20963&lang=eng Download Center, they work, but with the same effect - no system boot after install is finished).

5. Disk is recognized - 3,7 TB (so RAID 10 from four 2TB drives). I press Shift + F10, run diskpart to confirm that the drive is GPT - I see asterix in the GPT so the drive is in GPT partitioning scheme. I create no partitions.

6. I install Windows Server 2008 R2

7. After unpacking of files and 1st stage of my installation is complete, the 1st reboot comes.

8. System boots, I do not press a key to boot from DVD/CD.... and I end up with a black screen and a white "_" in the left corner of my screen.

If I change the boot order and move the "windows boot manager" after "Intel Embedded AHCI RAID", the system boots, installation might be completed, but I end up in the BIOS booting type and MBR drive. I do not know when and how this is changed.

If I try to modify the installation procedure with an added SATA DVD or from EFI shell, I end up with the same problem. What am I doing wrong?

I can switch to Intel RST, divide my RAID10 into two seprated VDs ( ESRT2 has only option for a single VD), then my first VD will be MBR (lets say 150GB) and the second one will be GPT (rest of the 3,7TB space)... but I thought that newer ESRT2 is better as well as the single VD with GPT scheme.

I could not find any threads or information about problems on ESRT2 UEFI/GPT installation.

Anyone willing to help ?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee

Re: R1304BTLSHBNR Windows SBS 2008 R2 UEFI 1st boot failure after install on ESRT2 RAID10

Jump to solution

Unfortunately UEFI installation is not supported on ESRT2. And ESRT2 only support one VD on RAID 10, so seems it's a deadend.

The workaround is to either switch to RST, or select a different RIAD level (RAID 1 or 5) which supports multiple VDs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: R1304BTLSHBNR Windows SBS 2008 R2 UEFI 1st boot failure after install on ESRT2 RAID10

Jump to solution

I did some comparison and it comes out that ERST-2 is much worse than Intel RST when it comes to RAID10 performance..... about three times for burst transfers 87MB/s vs 237 MB/s on Intel RST. Altough I feel defeated by not beeing able to do what I wanted to, eventually I ended up with a better solution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee
1 View

Jump to solution

Unfortunately UEFI installation is not supported on ESRT2. And ESRT2 only support one VD on RAID 10, so seems it's a deadend.

The workaround is to either switch to RST, or select a different RIAD level (RAID 1 or 5) which supports multiple VDs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Jump to solution

Just curious, how did you test the performance?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Jump to solution

I have used HD Tune and Anvil. It is kind of pity that I did not save ESRT-2 results. I can still re-do and save the ones for Intel RST.

Of course testing the drive/array with the OS installed and running on it will never give accurate results, but you can get the basic camparison.

Additional interesting thing that I did not mention is that minimal transfer speeds were worse for Intel RST, even as low as 18 MB/s.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Jump to solution

I have a similar problem, but with Linux. I have got a workaround.

This may be very unviable in Server environments, but works: Use an USB drive to store the bootloader.

In almost any linux distribution, you can store grub and the /boot/efi folder wherever you want, including USB drives.

On Windows, you can try this: http://www.wintobootic.com/ WiNToBootic - the ultimate Windows 7/8 USB Boot Disk Maker

Highlighted
Community Manager

Jump to solution

I use USB sticks for ESXi 5 hypervisors boot having a cloned backup unit near the server. It is not unviable. It might be a little bit problematic, that's all.

Thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Wait... Are you using ESXi with E-SRT2?

0 Kudos