Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4776 Discussions

R1304SPOSHORR and hot swap hard drive bay light pipes

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi, please see below image...

A = Hard drive GREEN status light when in use (can not be seen, i had to take 15 pictures before i even could see this light)

B = Server power / hard drive activity and warning lights

VERY CLOSE image looking down on the back of the hard drive tray and back plane

C = RAID back plane green

D = Hard drive tray light pipe

Cant actually see the green LED (A) on the drive bay (we have tried a number of drives), we thought was a damaged back plane, however as you can see from image (C) this LED is bright (however not as bright as the power light) (B). You will notice the light pipe (D) on the back of the drive tray is out of alignment from the back plane by about 3-4mm, meaning no light gets down the pipe.

Its the same on every bay....

I notice these trays have no base plate so the sides are not a fixed width, did this cost cutting exercise result in not being able to see the light down the pipe to the front of the drive?

The Chenbro version of this same case has drive trays with a brace to hold the sides rigid..... ive not seen this issue with other Intel server chassis, but then all the other Intel drive trays had a base to hold the sides rigid as well.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jorge_S_Intel
Employee

Hello,

The hard drive activity on the Intel server systems is not supported. In fact, the HDD LED status support depends on the hard drive manufacturer, not on the Intel chassis.

With that being said, could please specify your support request? IS there any broken Intel hardware? What exactly is your question?

0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Theres a manufacturing design flaw. The hard drive light pipes do not line up mechanically to the LEDs they are supposed to see (image shows the LED C does not line up with LIGHT PIPE D

0 Kudos
Jorge_S_Intel
Employee

Hello,

As an additional suggestion, please get in touch with the Intel distributor, or sales representative, and check if they have any other hardware solution. Unfortunately, there is not much to be done here as troubleshooting.

0 Kudos