Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

R2208WFTZS POST failure not documented in TPS?

John_B_Intel1
Employee

The TPS for the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/S2600WF_TPS.pdf S2600WF server board and the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/R2000WF_TPS.pdf R2000WF series servers offer, in Appendix B (pages 120 and 125, respectively), a diagnostic LED decoder., as shown below.

I have a customer who reports POST fails, with a "32" on the video display, and

Amber : ON ON ON off Green: ON ON ON off seen on the rear diagnostic LEDs.

The POST progress code example tables (same pages) indicates that's a error hex code EE (or binary 1110 1110).

However, in the pages which follow, there is no error code EE (or binary 1110 1110) described in either TPS.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

I was reviewing your case and I would like to share with you the POST Code Diagnostics for the Intel® Server Board.

Use it to assist you in troubleshooting a system hang during a system's power-on self-test (POST) process. Intel® Server Boards include a bank of eight POST Code Diagnostics light emitting diodes (LEDs) at the back edge. As each routine is started, the given POST code number is displayed to these LEDs.

Please check the following link: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/multimedia/server-products/server-boards/7059/ Interactive POST Code Diagnostic Decoder

If you have any other question please do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Best Regards,

Emeth O

0 Kudos
John_B_Intel1
Employee

That confirms the Hex code is EE.

It does not provide a recommendation of explanation of what EEh means.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I would like to ask you some details in order to find the root of this incident that you customer has been facing. Please check the questions below:

A) Is the server system booting into the BIOS? or is it not booting at all?

B) Did you already test the server system only with the basic components?

Best Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
John_B_Intel1
Employee

Fails to boot. Stripped to basics, still fails to boot. What is the EEh code?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

This could be happening due to your server system is not initializing properly. There are many different reason of this error code, for that reason I suggested and ask you if he already tested the system with the basic components.

Have you ever tested a different processor? Memory RAM? Motherboard?

Best Regards,

Emeth O

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I would like to know if you will need more information or assistance in this case. If so, please do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Best regards,

Emeth O

0 Kudos
John_B_Intel1
Employee

I have tested with a different set of CPUs known to work in other systems, and with a complete different set of memory modules, also known good from this model (R2208WFTZS).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

When you tested those components by any chance did you still noticed the same error code?

Best regards,

Emeth O

0 Kudos
John_B_Intel1
Employee

When I replaced the CPU and RAM, the problem still occurs

What are the possible causes for that undocumented EEh error code, please?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Have you ever tried to set at default settings the BIOS configuration by removing the jumper?

On the other hand, if you already tested a different processor and a different memory RAM moreover the LED's reaction did not change it could indicate us that the motherboard is damaged.

Best regards,

Emeth O

0 Kudos
John_B_Intel1
Employee

Reset BIOS by jumper, and CMOS battery removal. Issue persists.

Confirmed all jumper settings at default. Issue persists.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Ok, if you already performed to set the BIOS at default settings by removing the jumper moreover the issue still persists. We have the possibility to conclude that the motherboard is defective.

Best regards,

Emeth O

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Please if you have any other question let me know in order to provide you the most accurate information.

Best Regards,

Emeth O

0 Kudos
John_B_Intel1
Employee

What are the possible causes for that undocumented EEh error code, please?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Before to answer you the information asked, I would like to gather more information about your server system. Please provide us the complete system configuration and information.

Such as: Memory (Brand Name, Model and Speed) CPU Info (Model) and every other component install into this server board.

On the other hand, we are looking for the documentation on what code EEh means. However; since it is not documented it is had to provide you an accurate information about this code.

Could you please so kind and provide you a picture of the system label in the chassis (top)?

Best regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I would like to know if you have any other question in order to assist you with. If so let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Best regards,

Emeth O

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Due to the fact that I have been reviewing this threat and there is no interactions from your end. I am going to proceed with close it once for all. If you have any other question please let us know and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Best Regards,

Emeth O
0 Kudos