Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

R2208WFTZS loud after upgrade to BIOS: 00.01.0014

KubaW
Beginner

Hello!

On new R2208WFTZS server upgraded firmware package from stock 00.01.0009 to 00.01.0014 and now fans are on 7000RPM all the time.

All fan are working and I do not see any errors. See attached Sysinfo logs.

Does any one of you have idea how to solve this issue?

Regards,

Kuba W.

0 Kudos
40 Replies
SOber1
Beginner

Jep, have those too. I didn't pay to much attention to that one because i'm used to it from intel for quite some time. This are all my sensors:

Healthy Name Status Reading

OKSystem AirflowNormal25 C.F.MOKBB Lft Rear TempNormal31 degree COKRiser 3 TempNormal28 degree COKBB P1 VR TempNormal29 degree COKFront Panel TempNormal25 degree COKSSB TempNormal44 degree COKBB P2 VR TempNormal29 degree COKBB BMC TempNormal34 degree C<td style="border-bottom: 1px solid # cccccc; background: green; font-size: 12px; paddi...
0 Kudos
BBopp
Beginner

The sensors that have minus degrees are exactly the same in my system.

This is actually the first intel server we ever bought, and we wanted to buy some more for a database cluster, this one is just the test model.

I read before about fan problems, but I thought its a problem that was for much older models.

Reading your comment and having this issue actually scares me a little, because we never had this with HPE.

0 Kudos
KubaW
Beginner

There is nothing wrong in minus degrees for "thermal margin" readings, it is by design. It shows that your DIMM is 39 degrees below critical value.

0 Kudos
BBopp
Beginner

Really?

And +29 degrees means the other components are 29 degrees over the critical value?

Ah ok I am sorry, its only the values with margin. My fault!

0 Kudos
KubaW
Beginner

Minus degrees are only for "thermal margin" sensors. They have "Thrm Mrgn" or similar in sensor name.

If sensor is named Temp or Temperature, than it is simple temperature

0 Kudos
BBopp
Beginner

Hey KubaW and enox2 could you check if your system also shows FRU Ver 1.43 even after you applied the FRU update successfully for 1.60?

0 Kudos
SOber1
Beginner

The FRU is 1.29 after downgrading.

FRU File ID:FRU Ver 1.29
0 Kudos
BBopp
Beginner

Did you check which version you had after updating to 00.01.0014?

Because in my case it should be 1.60, but was and still is 1.43 doesnt matter how often I update it with a success message.

0 Kudos
SOber1
Beginner
0 Kudos
BBopp
Beginner

Ya it should be 1.60 but in my case the update, updates everything to 1.60 except the SRU stays on 1.43.

I was wondering if you have the same problem and that is also causing the fan issue.

0 Kudos
SOber1
Beginner

BMC is 1.43 FRU is 1.29 SDR is 1.43 BIOS is 0014 The only error was that the Bios could not be downgraded to 0013 but that's all. I leave it that way for now, i don't think intel comes up in time for a new release before this machine goes out to the customer and won't be updated any time soon.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello KubaW, enox2, betterbits,

We apologize for the delay, is there a possibility that you can open a case with us like KubaW, did?

We are working on the case but we would like to research on your issues too and, in order to better assist you and have a better look at each case problem we would like you to create a separate case.

Regards,

Charlie_Intel

0 Kudos
SOber1
Beginner

In regard to that post, i've already created a Case (03647607) 2 weeks ago with no success. As my patience run out i will keep the downgraded version as it is but i'm quite annoyed with this situation. Btw. I've also tried to activate the extended warranty for this server and the entitlementhub-website is also broken and the intelservicecoordinator hasn't wrote back. As an Intel Technology Provider Gold i'm rather right now!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello KubaW,.

We are still waiting for a response, but while we wait for it can we try the following?

Clear the CMOS, this will clear all the settings in BIOS and will set it to default, please perform the FW update and then the CMOS clear.

Remember that if the onboard RAID is configured, the settings will be set back to defaults, and you will need to reconfigure the RAID settings in BIOS.

If the data is not backed up or if it is important, data backup is recommended.

You will find the location of the CMOS jumper and procedure of clearing the CMOS in the technical product specification of the Intel® Server Board.

Press [F2] while POST to enter BIOS Setup.

Choose Set Fan Profile to acoustic by selecting Home screen → Advanced → System Acoustic and Performance Configuration → Set Fan Profile.

Press [F2] while POST to enter BIOS Setup.

(If it is available) Choose Fan RPM Offset by selecting Home screen → Advanced → System Acoustic and Performance Configuration → Fan RPM Offset to 0.

This is just for testing purposes.

In regards to the enox2 case, the team is already working on it to provide you an accurate answer we apologize for the delay.

Regards,

Charlie_Intel
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello KubaW,

We apologize for the delay in the researching, we are reproducing the issue in our lab and we are wondering if you can share us the latest sysinfo logs from the updated server?

Regards,

Charlie_Intel
0 Kudos
SOber1
Beginner

Hi, i've attached the current debug-logs from the Webinterface.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello enox2,

Thank you for the information, we are also working on it.

Regards,

Charlie_Intel
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello KubaW,

We are waiting for you to send us the latest sysinfo logs from the updated server is that possible?

Regards,

Charlie_Intel
0 Kudos
SOber1
Beginner

The logs from the curent downgraded version i have postet above.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello KubaW,

We are wondering if you were able to clear the SEL and extract the latest sysinfo logs from the server or please let us know if the server fans are working smoothly?

Regards,

Charlie_Intel
0 Kudos