Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

RAID 1 S5520HC with HDs SATAIII

JMelo2
Beginner

Hi!!

My server have a S5520HC mother board with Intel® Embedded Server RAID Technology II.

The manual of the S5520HC mother board sais as follows:

'The Intel® Server Board S5520HC/S5500HCV provide an embedded SATA controller that supports both 1.5

Gbps and 3.0 Gbps data transfer rates.'

So in theory my motherboard don´t support SATA III. I have 2 news discks SATA III to configure a RAID 1 hardware RAID with the S5520HC mother board.

I know that SATA III HDs are compatible with SATA II mother boards, but I´m worry about the possible incompatibility of the SATA III HDs with the

RAID SATA controller Intel® Embedded Server RAID Technology II.

Do you think that I will have any problem configuring the hardware RAID 1 in the S5520HC mother board with SATA III (6Gbps) HDs?

Thanks so much!!!!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Ideally SATA 6Gb/s drives should work with SATA II controllers. But remember it's always recommended to use drives in the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5520hc/sb/CS-030220.htm Tested memory and hardware list. We do have some SATA 6Gb/s drives in the list.

JMelo2
Beginner

The problem is that in my city it`s imposible tu find this drives... All the SATA are SATA II and they don`t sell HDD SATA II any more in my city and my enterprise don`t buy anything by internet.

So do anybody knows if two mirrowed HDs SATA III will work with the RAID SATA controller Intel® Embedded Server RAID Technology II of my S5520HC mother board that in theory only SATA II ?

Thank you for the help!!

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

We do have SATA III drives in the list. They're marked as SATA 6Gb/s or SATA-600.

0 Kudos
JMelo2
Beginner

Ok, I saw that you have SATA III drives in the list, but it´s impossible to buy this specific drives from my small city, and like I told you my entermprise don´t buy by internet.

The most similar drive that I can buy here is a Seagate ST500DM002 500Gbs, 7200rpm, SATA III

(I will buy 2 for the RAID 1)

So, do you know if two mirrowed HDs SATA III (don´t listed in the ' http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5520hc/sb/CS-030220.htm Tested memory and hardware list') will work with the RAID SATA controller Intel® Embedded Server RAID Technology II of my S5520HC mother board that in theory only SATA II ?

Thank again!!

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Not on the list means I can't tell you weather it will work or not, you need to test on your own. Ideally SATA III disks should work on SATA II ports, but it's highly recommended to use enterprise class hard drives in server environment. See http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-029229.htm Enterprise-class versus desktop-class hard drives comparison white paper.

0 Kudos