Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

RAID 5 with S3200SH Series using Intel Matrix RAID

idata
Employee

Hi all,

I have a clients CCTV server here and we are doing a fresh configuration.

S3210SHLX + SC5299BRP + 4GB Kingston + Q8400 CPU

Storage config to be:

2 x WD 1TB RE4's in RAID 0

4 x WD 1TB RE4's in RAID 5

The problem is that even when the SATA Configuration in the BIOS is set to RAID and Intel Matrix Storage the OPROM for the Matrix RAID Controller does not show itself. Instead it just loads the AHCI BIOS.

After performing an update with the latest firmware and BIOS the Matrix RAID Controller still will not take effect. I also have the problem that the dual onboard nic's are greyed out in the BIOS!

S3200SH_BIOS52_BMC39_FRUSDR15.zip is the latest updates that I applied.

The BIOS/Firmware update was performed via the EFI console with the automated script supplied by Intel.

I have been tearing my hair out all day to get this going and no such luck.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I need the machine up and running by Monday 9am.

Cheers,

Cody @ I'm I.T!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

If you set SATA configuration to native SATA mode, can you see all HDDs in BIOS? If yes, set it back to RAID, disable "Quiet Boot" in BIOS and keep pressing Ctrl + i during POST.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

If you set SATA configuration to native SATA mode, can you see all HDDs in BIOS? If yes, set it back to RAID, disable "Quiet Boot" in BIOS and keep pressing Ctrl + i during POST.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks! That did the trick.

I had tried everything apart from setting the SATA to IDE mode, saving and rebooting. Then setting the SATA mode to RAID and then selecting the Intel Matrix RAID as the controller.

I have another server of identical specification and when the Matrix RAID is selected the BIOS shows clearly upon boot - Not with this board though

The other problem I have now is that the onboard NIC is showing as disabled in the BIOS and no way to enable it from what I can see.

This has only come about after doing the latest firmware and BIOS update.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

I don't think you can enable/disable onboard NICs in BIOS. What you can enable/disable is the NIC OpROM. Do you see the NICs in OS?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The opROM is disabled in the BIOS and there is no option to enable it. Pressing F12 upon boot to request a network boot fails.

The NIC shows in Server 2008 but is reporting Error Code 10 (Device cannot start) - Common when the device is disabled.

Assitance is appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Did the NICs work before you updated the BIOS? Do you have any add-in cards installed on your system? Do you have the latest http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18807 NIC driver installed?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, the NIC's were fine before the BIOS update. There are no addin cards installed in the system.

Now the option to enable/disable the opROM is greyed out.

Top image is from the S3200SH manual (BIOS layout looks quite old)

Bottom image is current BIOS and shows it greyed out.

When installing the latest Intel NIC driver it installs correctly but the device fails to start - Because it is not enabled in the BIOS.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

The 2nd picture doesn't look right. The BIOS should display actual MAC address of each NIC, not just . This looks like EEPROM corruption. Could you try to apply the BIOS again, or revert back to a previous BIOS version?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The NIC works intermittently.

- Not detected at all in Windows Server 2008

- Detected but Code 10 - Device cannot start

- Detected and working without a problem

I am running an update from the Intel Deployment Assistant CD to do the upgrade. The previous upgrade was done through WinPE x64 environment and then EFI Live with a USB stick.

The Deployment Assistant is applying an update from 2011 and taking the BMC back to .51 from .52. The BIOS will stay the same but will be reflashed.

Fingers crossed because this machine needs to be delivered this morning.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Downgrade using the Deployment Assistants suggested upgrade and I still have the same issue - No NIC detected in the OS.

I will go back further to see if I can get this to work.

The NIC fails to detect when loading the deployment assistant.

Is this board toast?

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Seems a warranty replacement is needed...

0 Kudos