Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

RAID II on S5520HC, controller not ready for configuration error, What's Wrong?

idata
Employee

I have a new S5520HC, Dual E5530 procs, in a SC5650 chassis, and 4 500gb Seagate HDD's connected via the SATA. I want to set up as 2x 1TB array mirrored, but will settle for a 2TB RAID 0.

Initially, after changing the config in BIOS to SW RAID, I got the option for CTL+E to configure the raid, I did so (2 1TB arrays, 2 drives each), but saw no means to mirror them. So, I loaded the Intel Deployment assistant CD and booted from there, configured the RAID using that, and realized there was no option to create the arrays I wanted. After several other attempts to configure, the IDA now gives me the following error "ERROR:This Controller is not ready for configuration. Please reboot the system and try later. [0x10000056]"

At this point the RAID Web Console 2 shows 2x RAID 0 arrays, each made up of 2 drives, but when I went to install ESXi 4.0, it saw each drive as independent drives, and wanted to install on 1 disk. I did, and it still won't boot to ESX.

How do I get back tot he CTRL-E option so I can delete the arrays and start over?

Can I make a RAID 10? (I think that is what I want, not sure).

Any help is greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Check http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-029508.htm for a step-by-step demo of creating RAID 10 array.

idata
Employee

Figured out how to regain control of my RAID (disable QUIET BOOT). Now, Onto the VMware ESXi....

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dont try to install VMWARE onto a RAID SOFTWARE CONTROLLER because that operating system doesn't see the logical disk

You must use a HARDWARE RAID CONTROLLER as SROMBSASMR...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos