Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4296 Discussions

RAID II on S5520HC, controller not ready for configuration error, What's Wrong?

idata
Community Manager

I have a new S5520HC, Dual E5530 procs, in a SC5650 chassis, and 4 500gb Seagate HDD's connected via the SATA. I want to set up as 2x 1TB array mirrored, but will settle for a 2TB RAID 0.

Initially, after changing the config in BIOS to SW RAID, I got the option for CTL+E to configure the raid, I did so (2 1TB arrays, 2 drives each), but saw no means to mirror them. So, I loaded the Intel Deployment assistant CD and booted from there, configured the RAID using that, and realized there was no option to create the arrays I wanted. After several other attempts to configure, the IDA now gives me the following error "ERROR:This Controller is not ready for configuration. Please reboot the system and try later. [0x10000056]"

At this point the RAID Web Console 2 shows 2x RAID 0 arrays, each made up of 2 drives, but when I went to install ESXi 4.0, it saw each drive as independent drives, and wanted to install on 1 disk. I did, and it still won't boot to ESX.

How do I get back tot he CTRL-E option so I can delete the arrays and start over?

Can I make a RAID 10? (I think that is what I want, not sure).

Any help is greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Check http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-029508.htm for a step-by-step demo of creating RAID 10 array.

idata
Community Manager

Figured out how to regain control of my RAID (disable QUIET BOOT). Now, Onto the VMware ESXi....

idata
Community Manager

Dont try to install VMWARE onto a RAID SOFTWARE CONTROLLER because that operating system doesn't see the logical disk

You must use a HARDWARE RAID CONTROLLER as SROMBSASMR...

idata
Community Manager