Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

RAID controller that supports TCG Opal 2.0 encryption?

JRick2
Beginner

Evening all,

I​ am trying to find a solution for a hardware RAID controller that supports TCG Opal 2.0 encrypted SSD's.

Does anyone have any experience of this setup, or know if it's even possible?

Really appreciate any help or advice!

Best regards

J​

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoseH_Intel
Hello JRick2, Thank you for joining the community The Intel RAID controllers does support SSD encryption usually with the addition of an extra encryption key (sold separately). In order to assist you better we will need you to provide us with the exact RAID controller model so we can give you the correct key part number that will make it encryption capable. We will wait for you updates. Regards. Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JRick2
Beginner

Hi Jose,

Thanks for coming back to me on this. I should have mentioned, I am specifying brand new systems for a customer so I am not currently tied into any specific hardware at all.

Regarding the RAID controller, it would make sense to go for something new so we can benefit from a longer in-service time. So long as it supports 6Gb/s SAS & SATA and has at least 4 channels then I'm happy. 8 Channels would be really nice to give us some overhead for other projects for larger storage capacities. If you can offer a dedicated RAID management port then that would be welcome too.

The specific and firm requirement from the customer is Opal 2.0 encryption. and they cannot accept any other alternatives (ie. I have tried to offer a FIPS 140-2 solution already).

Thanks again for the help!

J

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello JRick2, Thank you very much for the additional information. We will analyze your request and get back with you as soon as possible. Regards. Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello JRick2, Our RAID controllers do support TCG standards; however, not the Opal but the TCG Enterprise category. Opal is mainly for mobile and desktop solutions while TCG Enterprise drives are for Data Center solutions. Please consider using TCG Enterprise SED drives. We do not have a list of that kind of drives for reference but WD and Seagate might have such drives within their current Enterprise drives. Regards. Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
GSwis
Beginner

I am facing some ipod touch problems that is showing up with the encryption error that I tried to solve with https://applesupportnumber.net/blog/ipod-touch-5th-generation-issues/. But with that some other errors are also occurring. The device is running slow. What shall I do?

0 Kudos