Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

RES2SV240 not showing more than 8 drives

NSmit5
Beginner

I have an RES2SV240 connected to an Adaptec 6805 (I also connected it to an LSI controller as well and the same behavior takes place). When I connect one enclosure (that has 2 ports) to the furthest rightmost ports on the card, it sees all drives in the single enclosure. When I add 2 connections to the next most rightmost connections (4 rightmost taken up at this point) to the other enclosure, it only shows 3 drives.

I've ruled out it being the other enclosure by trying each one individually. I've also swapped out the 8087 cables to ensure it's not that either.

I seem to recall there being a guide that actually showed cabling order, although I thought it was only relevant if you had 2 inbound connections, not a single one but I can't seem to find that.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

I don't know how the RES2SV240 will work with the Adaptec* RAID controller, but we have tested it with Intel and some LSI RAID controllers. You can see what has been tested in the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-031815.htm Tested Hardware & Operating Systems List for the RES2SV240.

The RES2SV240 is configurable allowing for either 4 or 8 incoming ports and 20 or 16 outgoing ports. You can find details in the RES2SV240 http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-031813.htm Hardware User's Guide.

Regards,

John
0 Kudos
NSmit5
Beginner

Yes, I'm aware of that list and according to Adaptec's support, the RES2SV240 has a defect in it that requires a particular workaround, which doesn't appear to be working for me.

Yet another piece of Intel trash I'll be returning this week.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What's the RES2SV240 defect that Adaptec indicates requires a particular workaround? Do you have a link the said issue? Has Adaptec commented on a possible reason why the workaround isn't working for you?

John

0 Kudos
NSmit5
Beginner

I don't have a link to it - their support tech mentioned it in my ticket. They haven't commented on any reasons why it isn't working - still going through other troubleshooting steps.

0 Kudos
NSmit5
Beginner

Plus, beyond Adaptec, there's the fact that another controller exhibits the same behavior.

0 Kudos