Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

RS2BL040 raid rebuild

SFeld2
Beginner

Hi,

I have a RS2BL040 on esxi 5. Recently I had an outage of a disk on my raid1 DG. I couldn't find exact instructions on how to rebuild so going off of what little I saw I added the new drive and it wasn't very apparent how to rebuild on the new drive so I pulled out the bad drive and that was a BIG mistake. Now the controller has marked the bad drive as missing in the disk group and I cannot remove it or rebuild it. The only thing that it will let me do is to build a new DG with the new drive. I tried putting back the defective drive but it won't match it up with the drive in the raid1 DG in order to run the rebuild. I've tried several things now including direct removal of the bad drive but I am getting an error saying "unacceptable reconstruction parameter"

I am using the raid controller bios and not the web console. There is not reason for that other than the raid web console seems extremely difficult to install on esxi. I have a feeling that the web console allows more actions, but I wanted to ask before going to the trouble of installing it.

Let me know what you think.

thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello,

We recommend installing the new drive in the same bay where the defective drive is located so the rebuilding process starts automatically. If the rebuilding process do not start, right click on the drive and select "rebuild".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

We recommend installing the new drive in the same bay where the defective drive is located so the rebuilding process starts automatically. If the rebuilding process do not start, right click on the drive and select "rebuild".

0 Kudos
SFeld2
Beginner

Thanks for the reply.

That was my expectation, but unfortunately it wouldn't work. I installed the new drive into the exact same slot and in a different slot, it would not work. It would not let me select the option to rebuild. I tried different approaches but none would work, the most promising one was to use the configuration wizard to recommend the config and that almost worked - in that the recommended config contained the new drive in the DG - but it failed when I tried to tell it to proceed.

I did not have the same exact disk as the one that fail although the new drive's capacity was 500GB more than the old one.

0 Kudos