Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

RS2BL080 controller and installing larger drives

idata
Employee

I Have a RS2BL080 controller with 6 3tb drives in raid 5. Probably not going to do so for a few terabytes yet, but if I wanted to replace all those drives with 4tb drives is that possible And use the extra space in the current array? I don't have another place to store my current array to recreate it.

THanks.

JR

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Ideally yes... But highly not recommended... Imaging you'll have to rebuild the RAID array 6 times... I would get an expander, or a 2nd RAID card, hook all 12 drives and do a RAID to RAID copy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Edward @ Intel : Hi, i have an laptop with a Intergrated Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 card. I also have an Nvidia GeForce GT 650M that is only assisting the Intel card when it gets to hard for the intel card to paint the graphics. Anyway, what my problem is - i cant get HDMI Sound. I downloaded Winupdate (i have win8 Operativesystem) and i downloaded latest updates for both the GeForce and the Intel card. What do you think i should do? Do you have an HDMI Driver update?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

WHat does your graphic card inquiry have to do with my thread?

thread stealer.

0 Kudos
CLest2
Beginner

I have a similar question. I have the RS2BL080 with 3 x 3TB drives in a raid 5.

Can I add a 4TB drive without losing the extra 1TB ? Will I get a 4TB expansion ?

If the parity information is spread across all drives this should be possible.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

You will lose the extra 1TB if you add the new 4TB disk to existing array. Or you can create another VD using the new disk to use up all the capacity.

0 Kudos