Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

RS2SG244 "latest" firmware, v12.14.0-0185 or 12.13.0-0105 ?

JJohn48
Novice

RS2SG244 with 22 SATA drives connected. Updated to "latest" firmware, v12.14.0-0185 now half the drives don't appear. Then I noticed that there is a "High port count" firmware which is only at version 12.13.0-0105 Both are listed as compatible with RS2SG244. Should I have installed 12.13.0-0105 instead, and if so is there anything I can do about it now?

11 Replies
Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello John2016 ,

In order to get more information about your system please provide us with the TTY Log file.

If you are running the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25945/Intel-RAID-Web-Console-2-Utility-for-Windows- Raid Web Console2 please provide us with the TTY logs by launching the RAID Web Console 2, click on the "Physical" tab and then right click on the Intel(R) Raid Controller type, select "Save TTY Log".

If you prefer you could download, install and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25499/StorCLI-Phase-2-0?product=48489 StorCLI Phase 2.0 then run the following command

CMD> StorCLI.exe> AdpAliLog -a0 >filename.txt and provide us with the file generated.

Regards,

Caesar B.

JJohn48
Novice

Cesar,

I tried to email the the log file, but your email address showed up as mailto:webadmin@intel.com webadmin@intel.com and the email bounced. Please let me know how to send the file.

I actually have 3 RS2SG244 cards in a big 8U server. That server has 60 3TB hard drives (20 each connected to a RS2SG244 card via the backplane), plus 2 SSD drives connected to one of the cards in a RAID 1 for boot. That is the only unit now in operation, fortunately, otherwise I would not be able to boot the machine.

Something else to note, I realized now that the Web console I was running was LSI MegaRAID version 14, so I just downloaded Intel RWC2 version 16.02.

I was not able to get that connected to the server for some reason, but I downloaded the logs using the StorCLI

The LSI MegaRAID console seemed to have worked previously.

Let me know if you need more info and thanks!

Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello John2016

I sent you a private email so you could reply back attaching the log file so I can take a look.

Best regards,

Caesar B

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello John2016 ,

I got your email and will proceed to analyze the data. I will contact you as soon as I have an update.

Regards,

Caesar B
0 Kudos
Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello John2016

We have sent you a personal email on this case.

Best regards,

Caesar B.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello John2016,

Please try downgrading the firmware to see if this fixes the high port count version.

I checked compatibility and it is compatible.

Best regards,

Caesar B.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello John2016,

We want to confirm if you were able to follow our suggestions and what were the results.

Best regards,

Caesar B.

Intel Technical Support for Intel Omni-Path and True Scale Fabric products.

0 Kudos
JJohn48
Novice

Ceasar,

I tried to respond several times to the message about doing a firmware downgrade or reversion.

It is not possible, as far as I can see, to downgrade the firmware. I tried it several times. The utility that does the firmware upgrade clearly states when you run it that firmware downgrades are not allowed for security reasons. I would need special instructions to bypass that if it is indeed possible to bypass it. Otherwise, I would need to have an actual upgrade. Or, even re-release the earlier firmware with a higher release number so that I can be allowed to upgrade instead of downgrade.

Does this make sense?

idata
Employee

Hello John2016 ,

Please let us know what specific drives are connected to the Intel® RS2SG244 RAID controller?

The Downgrade of firmware is not a common practice in this case, however, as a troubleshooting step please try loading defaults to RAID controller prior to Downgrading firmware.

In case the previous step does not work, please try these steps for downgrading the Firmware:

========================== UEFI (EFI 2.0) instructions for downgrading RAID Firmware:

1. Download and extract all files to a local drive.

2. Boot the target system to EFI shell.

3. Change directory to the local drive and directory containing the flash update files and the firmware image file.

4. Type "efi\cmdtool2 -adpfwflash -f hmr_09p10.rom -noverchk -aa"

5. Wait for the flash to complete. Do NOT reboot the system during the update.

Or you could try DOS instructions for downgrading RAID Firmware:

1. Download and extract all files to a local drive.

2. Boot the target system to DOS.

3. Change directory to the local drive and directory containing the flash update files and the firmware image file.

4. Type "efi\cmdtool2 -adpfwflash -f hmr_09p10.rom -noverchk -aa"

5. Wait for the flash to complete. Do NOT reboot the system during the update.

Please let me know of the outcome.

Best regards,

Caesar B.

idata
Employee

Hello John2016 ,

We would like to know if you were able to follow our instructions to downgrade the firmware and if further assistance is required.

Regards,

Caesar B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello John2016

Please let us know if the firmware downgrade was successful.

Regards.

Casar B.
0 Kudos