Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

RS2WC040 Incompatible w/ Asus Rampage IV extreme

idata
Employee

I have tried every slot and every PCIE config, no go. First of all i used a different PC to upgrade firmware. I then tried installign it in my rampage. THe controller bios loads, shows the drives connected, but i cannot access the bios (i press cntrl-g and informs me it will go into bios after post, but it never does). Secondly windows 7 hangs as it is tryign to detect the controller, i finally get the driver installed (i have tried the one on the disc as well as the latest driver) and soemtimes it will just hang and say the controller is inaccessable, other times it connects and i can see the drive in explorer, BUT if i try to manipulate it in any way it hangs. Also CM2 can occasionaly access the conrtoller, but any attempt to manuipulate it and it hangs. It is clearly a MB incompatability as it works fine in my Asus P6X58D Premium, i can access, manipulate, etc.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Richard,

What does Asus say about the issue?

Have you updated the BIOS for the Asus Rampage IV extreme board?

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have not talked to them about the issue. BUt that is a good point.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

well i am having the same problem with an Asus P8B WS LGA 1155 Intel C206 ATX motherboard. it runs an Xeon E3-1275 and otherwise is flawless.

Just like you say everything else works and you can install the drivers. But when you press Ctntrl G you do NOT get the next screen to set up your raid. Instead it crashes or boots into windows 7 on another drive i put in.

Have you found the cure???

Thanks,

John.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

John,

Generally, updating the RAID controller firmware resolves this issue from the RAID controller perspective.

As I asked in your other community post, have you tried the latest BIOS for your server board? Unfortunately we have not tested the RS2WC080 in an ASUS server board. You can see what thrid party server boards we have tested in the RS2WC080 http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/rs2wc0x0_thol_v60.pdf Tested Hardware and Operating Systems List.

Has ASUS validated the RS2WC080 RAID controller with this server board? If so, what do they say about the issue?

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Reason for this problem is that ******* crazy mouse-clicky UEFI-bios of many ASUS (and some other) mobos, which does not let enough space in memory for sas/sata raid-controller bios to load. Users of LSI-controller 9211-4i (which is actually rebranded RS2WC040, or RS2WC040 is rebranded 9211-4i?) have the same problem. There is nothing Intel/LSI can do with it...

0 Kudos
CoryJ_K_Intel
Employee

Quick note to everyone: I have moved this discussion to the Support Discussion page @ /message/160811# 160811 http://communities.intel.com/message/160811# 160811. You may find more answers there.

Thanks,

- Cory

0 Kudos