Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4775 Discussions

Raid setup on R2312GZ4GCSAS

idata
Employee

I am starting the initial setup of this server chassis. My intention was to use the 8 port module for a Raid 6 and I wanted to install a Raid 1 as the boot drive using Drives 0 and 1.

I have configured a raid 1 in the onboard raid bios and all seems well

When I go into deploy assistant it only shows the raid 6 on the add in raid module.

This product comes with the onboard raid key RKSAS4 and the additioanl 8 port 2 connect expnader add in raid card RMS25CB080

The technical information implies that this should not be a problem.

Anybody have any pointers on where to look on how to make this work.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Yes it will work. Are you using RSTe to configure RAID 1? Try ESRT2 instead.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Edward

I have tried both. I have also tried to install the drivers during the Server 2008r2 setup process. It appears that the RMs25cb080 takes over everything.

Do you know if there is any type of step by step map of how to acomplish this?

I have over a dozen intel servers and there allways seems to be some poorly documented twist to making everything work in the right order.

Intel® RSTe for Windows* Software User Guide gives instructions that end up with only the add in raid card being accesable.

Greg

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

OK let's take a step back and check everything from the beginning. Suppose you're using ESRT2:

1. Cable connection. I suppose you have three cable connected to the backplane right? One from the board and two from the RAID module. In your case there is no need of expander.

2. How many hard drives are you using, and how are they populated? Note the hard drive order is as below:

So the drives for RAID 1 should be in slots 0-3, and drives for RAID 6 should be in slots 4-11, assuming port 0-3 is connected to the board while other two are connected to RAID module.

3. You see both Ctrl-E and Ctrl-G prompt during POST, and you can configure both RAID 1 and RAID 6 VDs right?

4. ESRT2 doesn't support booting from a VD larger than 2TB. So make sure your RAID 1 VD doesn't exceed 2TB.

5. You'll need to load both http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20963&lang=eng ESRT2 and http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21200&lang=eng IR3 driver during OS installation.

0 Kudos