Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Rapid Storage Technology enterprise - Windows isn't recognizing the full RAID 5 drive space

RHans9
Beginner

I just setup my first server using an S1200v3RLP Intel board and Windows 2012 R2. I configured the BIOS to see my 5 2TB drives as Raid 5 using Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise (RSTe). After installing the driver during the OS install and loading the application, I waited about 2 days for the raid array to complete the initialization process. Now, windows is still saying that I only have 2TB, not the full 7TB. Do I need to create the volume again in Windows, similar to what I did when I first setup the RAID in EFI? If so, will this destroy my current info (OS + windows updates). I've read the Windows OS user guide for RSTe, but I'd have a little more comfort if I had some feedback from the community.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AChan85
New Contributor I

When you installed WS2012, how large did you see the array?

To install on the RAID 5, you need to setup the RAID at BIOS level. I think this is what you did. Then when you boot up the WS2012 install, WS2012 should load the driver automatically. It should see the entire array. Then it install the OS on the array.

Since Windows only sees 2TB, then you need to download the Windows hotfix. Search google and Microsoft. This is a a known problem. After you download the fix, then you should be able to see the entire RAID. Your data should still be good.

It is best practice to install operating system on a non-array, such as SSD or such. Separate operating system and data....

0 Kudos
RHans9
Beginner

During the OS install, Windows saw only 1 drive and it was 7TB. Once the OS install was complete, my C drive was only 2TB. After RSTe initialization completed, I still only see a C drive of 2TB.

I was unaware of the Windows hotfix. Will Windows Update eventually find it and install it or is it something that has to be manually installed? As for the separate drives for OS and data, I completely agree and normally do this. In this case, I didn't want to allocate a 2TB drive just to the OS. In the future, I hope to push the OS to a smaller, faster drive.

0 Kudos
AChan85
New Contributor I

So the RAID was built correctly in BIOS. WS2012 install loads the driver properly. How large was your C partition. You do not want a 7 TB C partition, or even a 2 TB. It should be 100 GB or smaller, just for the system. So how large is your C partition?

This Windows 2 TB limit has been discussed for many years. Google is your best friend. At this stage, you have to download it manually.

0 Kudos
RHans9
Beginner

Google is your best friend if you know what to search for.. I've been looking for solutions, via google, for 2 days and haven't heard of this hotfix or a 2TB limit. However, there is a chance that I could have overlooked the search results because it didn't seem relevant.

I agree that a 7TB C drive is not wise and I planned to partition it once I got Windows to recognize the full Raid5. My C partition should be 7TB. Windows is currently acknowledging it as 2TB. I have five 2TB drives in the system in Raid5 config.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I do appreciate it.

0 Kudos
AChan85
New Contributor I

haha.... see this one. easy:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2581408 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2581408

You can't set C partition to use all 7TB. You'll get into some problem like this.

If you do not have important data with the new install, re-install WS2012 again. Make the C smaller than 2 TB... I do not know if there is any data issue with the 7 TB C partition....

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

It seems you have followed the correct steps for your RAID configuration. I am just wondering if you enable the option for EFI Optimized Boot in the BIOS and started the Operating System installation from (\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI).

To illustrate this better, I would recommend reading the following document Using GPT with http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-031158.htm Intel® RAID Controllers. In this case since the array is already created you should be able to follow "Plan B" listed in document page 9.