Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Recover from s5000vsa crash

idata
Employee

I have a Windows 2003 server that has crashed. It has an s5000vsa mb in a SC5299-E case. My customer turned it off last night because it was rebooting every couple of hours. When I went in today to take a look at it, it will not boot at all. I get green lights briefly on both of the dual power supplies (they are plugged into separate UPS system which are supporting other equipment and are NOT overloaded) but they both turn amber after about a minute. The status light on the back of the motherboard is green and no other LEDs are lit. The Status light on the front panel flashed green. However, when I try to power up the unit, I get NOTHING - no beeps, no lights, no fans, nothing. I have unplugged both power supplies from the wall, removed & reseated them to no avail.

I have two issues:

1. How do I get this thing to boot again??

2. Is there any way I can take the hard disks (Raid 1) from this machine & get them to boot on a s5000psl motherboard? I tried it but keep getting a bsod with a 7b error code. How can I get these drives to boot on that motherboard?

Thanks.

2 Replies
JasonT_Intel

Can you try plugging the server in direct AC ? (not through the UPS).

As for your second question, make sure you are using the same configuration (meaning same mass storage device).

idata
Employee

It turns out that the dual power supplies in my chassis were under an Intel tech bulletin for having a known issue with not rebooting after being powered off. I ended up rebuilding the system on a virtual machine & have ordered replacement power supplies.