Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Remote access to IPMI/BMC on S1200V3RP

jchal3
Beginner

I'm trying to get remote LAN access to BMC on S1200V3RP (Rainbow Pass). The IP is set to static configuration with valid IP address on my network, all users are enabled and assigned password in setup, but no matter what I try, BMC doesn't respond to any attempts to communicate with it via LAN. I tried Ipmiutil, nmap, ssh, IPMIView...

The system runs Ubuntu, and it does have network connection via onboard LAN, so I am pretty positive it's not a HW issue. Ipmitool can access BMC locally, and I can verify the LAN setup of BMC corresponds to what I have configured in setup.

The system doesn't have RMM4 installed, just plain board with no extras. The BMC is Emulex Pilot III (?).

Is the BMC supposed to be accessible? Is there anything else I need to do, like a secret jumper, magical setup question... or it's simply not supposed to work?

ipmitool mc info:

Device ID: 33

Device revision: 1

Firmware revision: 1.13

IPMI Version: 2.0

BTW: I have the same problem with my Aztec City, again Emulex Pilot III. I don't have any problems with my Supermicro board using Nuvoton BMC.

I'll be grateful for any hints or suggestions!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AP16
Valued Contributor III
0 Kudos
jchal3
Beginner

Yes, I've done that all. I don't use RMM4, thus I only configured the first IP group (the RMM4 group is greyed out). Addresses for my network are 192.168.1.205 / 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.1.1 for GW. All users are enabled and configured with a password.

The configuration is verified using ipmitool in Ubuntu. Ipmitool correctly lists all five users, and password test also passes.

What remote tool should I use?

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Have you tried direct connection to server from notebook via cross-cable?

0 Kudos
jchal3
Beginner

I don't have any cross cables, but I tried connecting via ethernet switch with no other devices on the network, and static IP configuration. The result is sadly the same.

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Just to be sure: IP for BMC is different from host OS IPs?

Install the Intel® System Configuration Utility (syscfg) to server host OS and issue following commands with admin rights:

syscfg /rfs

wait 1 minute

syscfg /rbmc

Then reboot and setup BMC LAN settings again.

0 Kudos
jchal3
Beginner

This finally helped, thanks!

And yes, the IP addresses of BMC and OS were different.

Now I am facing the same problem on Aztec City. I'll check if there are any BMC firmware updates, as the trick you suggested doesn't work here.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Can you ping the IP address for the BMC? If so can you please tell us the commands you are trying to execute?

0 Kudos
jchal3
Beginner

Hi Dan,

no, I cannot even ping the IP address, "Destination Host Unreachable". What I am also surprised is that LEDs on LAN connector go off when I turn the platform off, which looks like BMC doesn't control them at all.

One thing I am not sure about - do I need RMM4 or RMM4 Lite module to get the BMC LAN working? I understand I need RMM4 to get access to EWS / IBMC, but do I need RMM4 or RMM4 lite to e.g. use ipmitool to remotely manage the platform? The documentation isn't quite clear about it (or I am reading it wrong ).

Thanks a lot,

Jakub

0 Kudos