Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Remove disks from RAID 0 Array

idata
Employee

I have a S5520HC motherboard with three RAID 0 Arrays configured:

A0: 1 disk (boot)

A1: 4 disks

A2: 1 disk

Now I would like to remove two of the four disks in the A1 and create a new array (A3) with one disk (SSD)

I have backed up the data on A1 and it is okay to loose this, but I am not sure how to do this without loosing the data on A0 and A2?

In the configuration menu, I can create a new configuration dropping all Arrays, but there does not seem to be an option to just drop one Array - or am I missing something?

How could this be done?

Thanks,

Mads

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Are you using the onboard ESRT2 RAID? Don't create a new configuration. You can remove the VD of A1.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ed,

Yes, it is onboard ESRT2. From the Bios Configuration Utility (Ctrl+E) I don't see any option to do this. You can View/Add - but this does not allow you to modify an array. Easy configuration does not either seem to have any modify options.

If I open Web Console 2, I have an option to remove a Virtual Drive but not individual physical drives. In the manual this option exists, but it seems to be disabled for ESRT2.

So is the way to do it to delete the entire VD from Web Console, and then recreate it with only two disks?

Thanks,

Mads

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

It doesn't make sense to remove a disk from a RAID 0 array - it destroys all data on the VD anyway. But you can still force a physical drive offline and mark it online later.

With the BIOS utility you can go to Objects => Virtual Drive to modify/delete them.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Ed - sorry for not replying earlier; have been on vacation. I removed the array from the Web console and then added it from the Bios Utility - I guess I could have done both from the Bios Utility as you described. Once again thanks for your quick reply, getting proper and timely help in this forum is one of the main reasons I keep buying Intel!

Br,

Mads

0 Kudos