Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

S1200BTL not able to POST with NVMe attached

idata
Employee

Hi all,

I am trying to install an NVMe (samsung 950 pro) device into a S1200BTL motherboard with a Xeon E3 processor. The system posts fine without the device but if I attach it, the system will fail to POST. I have updated to the latest firmware but still no luck. I tried installing this in another sandy bridge based system and it works without a problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Chris

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi again,

This is all I'm getting from the BMC/RMM. No errors or anything as far as I can see. The system just shows the F2/F6/f12 information but never continues from there. Eventually it decides to restart and do the same thing over again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

After checking the specifications for the NVMe (samsung 950 pro) we can confirm that the form factor is M.2. The S1200BTL does not have a M.2 connector. If you are using any kind of adapter or converter please keep in mind these are not supported by Intel. That could be the reason why the NVME is not been properly detected.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

This should not be an issue since the NVMe device has its own OPROM. I do know that the S1200BTL does not have any M.2 connector, nor is it PCIe 3.0. Now though, I have tried a second board, S2600CP4. This exhibits the EXACT same issue as the S1200BTL and this has support for NVMe as far as I'm concerned (it's even used as a test machine in an Intel NVMe white paper).

Before this board, I tried the NVMe SSD with an older Lenovo Sandy-bridge based machine - No problem! I tried as well with a Supermicro X9DRi-F - No problem as well. I'm starting to think it's a bug with the Intel UEFI/BIOS.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi again,

I looked at the LED's on the motherboard and translated it to "DXE IDE BEGIN" or 0xA1h. can't find any information about this, would someone have this?

0 Kudos