Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S1200BTL restarts repeatedly

BShee1
Beginner

I just installed a new S1200BLT board, and cannot get it to boot. It runs for 7-8 seconds, turns off, and then restarts after 5 seconds - repeatedly. The CPU and chassis fans spin up, and if I take the DIMMs out, it does beep. No video is displayed. I have the following components:

E3-1230v2 cpu

2 Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G DIMMs - not the *I version

Power supply is PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500 watt modular

Tia,

Bill

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

What's your board PBA# ? E3-1230V2 is only supported on revision -352 or later.

0 Kudos
BShee1
Beginner

From the box - PBA: E98681-309.

If this was an issue, WHY didn't it show up when I ran the Intel Server Configurator Tool on Intel's website BEFORE I bought the board and CPU?

I don't see anything making this distinction on page 2 of G13326-003_S1200BT_TPS_v1_0.pdf - "Intel® Server Board S1200BT Technical Product Specification" that I downloaded on 6/2/2012.

Is there a firmware upgrade or any way to solve this problem? Since the parts have been taken out of the boxes and assembled, I probably can't return them. Even if I send the board back as being defective, I may just get the same revision.

0 Kudos
BShee1
Beginner

Edward, where is this documented? I am going to have to buy another motherboard and I don't want to get burned again - if I buy an Intel board.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

See the notes in the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-032414.htm Tested processor list. As for the Server Configurator, you may notice there are two versions of S1200BTL - S1200BTL and S1200BTLR. The "R" means refresh, indicates support for V2 processors.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same motherboard, and the same issue, but the cpu is a Xeon E3-1220, S-spec: SR00F.

The motherboard PBA is E98681-309.

At first glance, motherboard and cpu are compatibles, what should I do?

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

And the RAM is Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G. ECC ram is mandatory? ECC is just "supported" at documentation...

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Yes ECC is mandatory. See http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-032418.htm Tested memory and hardware list.

Please take note that registered DIMMs are NOT supported.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Excuse me, Edward, are you sure registered DIMMs aren't supported?

Server Configurator Tool recommends explicitly (among others) Kingston 8GB DDR ECC (KVR1333D3D4R9S/8GI) registered ram ...

Why everything has to be so complicated?

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Registered DIMMs are NOT supported. The server configurator tool will be fixed ASAP.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Edward,

I've fished around on the ark.intel.com website and could not find any of the information that you provided on this post which has been so very helpful. Why is it that information on this particular motherboard is scattered all over the place throughout different websites?

Also, as a secondary question, is it true that you can update the BIOS with an i3-2100 and use the E3-1230 V2 with a board lower than PBA E98681-352? I've spent about $600 in the past three weeks and only now am I finding out all of this useful information. If not, I'll have to RMA everything and be out restocking fees...which is going to hurt the pocket of an out of work individual.

Also, I understand that ark.intel.com and intel.com/support are totally different websites, but didn't expect to find any information regarding the s1200btl on the support site. ~ The more you know.

Thanks,

letrappe
0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Besides ark.intel.com, I'd suggest you visit http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/server/sb-s1200bt Support for the Intel® Server Board S1200BT where you can find compatibility info. You may find a clear statement on http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-032414.htm Server Products — Tested processor list that board lower than -352 doesn't support Xeon E3-1200V2 family. As Doc_SilverCreek said below:

You may experience some random memory errors.

The hardware is slightly differnt in the circuit that controls memory training.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The S1200BTL does 'unofficially' support the E3 v2 processor range but you need to flash the board to the latest BIOS.

In order to do this you need a processor already on the S1200BTL tested processor list like an E3 v1 or i3.

I can confirm the S1200BTL works fine with an E3-1230 v2.

If you have an incompatible processor then you are likely to get the same cycle exhibited by the OP. The machine will turn on for a short while and the recycle power after a few seconds. There will be no video.

When I mistaking put an i5-2500 in this board (spare unit I thought was an i3-2100 and didn't double check) it exhibited the same power cycling and the diagnostic LED code on the rear of the board was 01011001 which is not documented in the technical specification for the board. Replacing with an i3 resolved the issue, although a lot of fun and games ensued before I realised my initial mistake.

SL

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

You may experience some random memory errors.

The hardware is slightly differnt in the circuit that controls memory training.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Simon Lea

Which PBA version is your S1200BTL? Just so I can know if it is worth trying to borrow a compatible processor and update the bios on my S1200BTL to support the E3-1230 v2. I realy think that Intel should modify the FrontPage of the S1200BTL advertising page to say that only some special versions!!! of S1200BT motherboards support the E3-12xx v2 processor Family. I got absolutely no info on this from that page: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/server-motherboards/server-board-s1200bt.html Intel® Server Board S1200BT Family

0 Kudos