Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

S1200SP Fans running at full speed

ARoch2
Beginner

I have a S1200SP, the fans are running at full speed all the time.

I have replaced the motherboard already, I am running the latest BIOS firmware, the only error I get when running the SEL Viewer Utility is:

P1 VR Ctrl Temp reports the sensor is in a low state.

Any ideas would be appreciated

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi Antonio,

Thank you for contacting us about this.

Firstly, I would recommend to verify that memory modules you use are supported and meet the requirements for the Intel® Server Board S1200SP.

Secondly, download the latest BIOS/firmware update package and review the step-by-step instructions and demo on how to run the update.

• If the Sensor Data Record (SDR) update isn't run, the system usually doesn't know which fans and components to detect at which header. Not running this update causes alerts that raise the fan speed, especially on first system integrations. Applying the latest firmware usually quiets fans.

Thirdly, in case of using pedestal chassis, make sure the top cover is properly seated.

Finally, if none of the above solves the issue, use the troubleshooting wizard to resolve high fan noise issues.

Also, could you provide to me the specific Model of the Intel ServerBoard?

Please, let me know the outcome in order to proceed with the next step.

Regards,

Emeth O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

Under Contract to Intel Corporation.

0 Kudos
ARoch2
Beginner

Hi Emeth,

I sent you a private message with all the specifics.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi,

If you do not mind, due to the fact that this is a community; can we proceed with the conversation over this thread? I will highly appreciate it.

I would like to suggest you the following step:

1. Ensure chassis cover is properly set.
  2. Remove all fans from the chassis, then plug back in.
  3. Run the Firmware update package.
  4. Run the firmware update with both power supplies installed (when to units are installed), in case the power supply fans are being affected as well).
  5. Ensure that the CPU fan connector and the system fan connector have been properly set on their corresponding headers.
  6. Verify this information on the Technical Product Specifications of the Intel® Server Board S1200SP Family, page 83,84. 
  7. Perform CMOS Clear / BIOS default using jumper.
  8. Replace the power supplies for another known good working set.
  9. Install the FRU (field replaceable unit) and SDR (sensor data record) separately (try using a previous released version if the current one does not work)

Please let me know the outcome in order to verify the status of the system.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi,

I would like to know if the steps provided help you to find the solution of this inconvenience?

Please let me know the outcome, If you have any other question I will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi Antonio,

I was reviewing the thread and I have not seen any activitiy recently on this thread.

Please if you have any other question, do not hesitate and contact us back and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos