Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S1200SP uses M.2 2242 drive when no one makes them?

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi

I notice the S1200SP series of board (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/server-motherboards/server-board-s1200sp.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/server-motherboards/server-board-s1200sp.html) has a M.2 drive support for 2242, no one makes this size, even Intel doesnt, so what was the point?

Everything i can find that i would use (Intel, Kingston etc..) are 2280 in size!

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Ashley,

Regarding your question about S1200SP, that uses M.2 – 2242 drives, where to purchase them. I am still looking to see if intel has them available but I don't think they do. But I was able to do a Google search and they can be found on different web site and also at Samsun.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi Henry

The 2242 drives exist, however considering Intel and other major brands (Kingston, Western Digital) are all using 2280, i have no idea why they (Intel) used a size that doesnt appear to be "standard", even as they do not sell the size they designed to fit there own server board!

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Ashley,

I am afraid the 2242 is the size available on the motherboard for installation. I am checking with sales to see if we have does particular drives available.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
SBlitz
New Contributor II

Transcend has it - see this link i.e.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=m.2%20ssd%2042mm&Submit=ENE m.2 ssd 42mm - Newegg.com

Good luck..

0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi SaarBlitz, that was the point of this thread, theirs no reputable company i would use in a server, so i have no idea why Intel made the M.2 slot only take a size that no one makes.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Ashley,

I am afraid the 2242 is the size available for this motherboard for installation. The newest systemboard can use the newer M.2, and I will pass on the information on the limitation space for the installation. Is there any other questions we can help you with.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Thanks, i started the thread with the goal to have Intel notified on the short fall of the design.

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Ashley,

I will proceed and pass on the information to the proper departments. Again thank you and on the future feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
SBlitz
New Contributor II

Hi,

From my link - Transcend is respectable SSD/memory maker for servers. I do agree other known vendors are not avail with 42mm..

Good luck here,

Saar

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

We do appreciate your feedback on this matter, we are going to make sure to pass your comments to the proper department .

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Ashley,

I am just following up if there is anything else we can help or if I can proceed on closing the case.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi

I think this case can be closed...

Many Thanks

Ashley

0 Kudos