Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

S1200SPLR - SAS Module Compatibilty Questions

JJoha1
Novice

Hi,

I'm using a https://ark.intel.com/products/97950/Intel-Server-Board-S1200SPLR S1200SPLR board with an E3-1245v6 CPU (latest Firmware version 03.01.1029 installed)

I'm looking for the most basic SAS Module option with SAS 12 Gbps ports (that can operate without any RAID features active) so that the operating system has direct access to the hard drives for software defined storage solutions.

The S1200SPLR has a fourth expansion slot "SAS Module slot". However I'm unable to find a compatible SAS module for that motherboard. If you check the motherboard's product page under "Compatible Products" and "RAID Products", you only get regular PCIe add-in cards ("Low Profile MD2 Card"), nothing for that special SAS module slot.

Is there a product to supply the S1200SPLR's SAS module slot with a SAS 12 Gbps port?

Thank you very much for your help!

0 Kudos
24 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello JBBG,

No problem at all on the time. Thank you for your time and patience and information provided.

You are right that the best option will be a card that handles JBOD Mode.

But the two models you recommended RMS3HC080 and RMS3JC080 are not part of the compatibility list for the https://ark.intel.com/products/97950/Intel-Server-Board-S1200SPLR Server Board S1200SPLR.

The card that will recommend as a PCIe card will be https://ark.intel.com/products/77346/Intel-RAID-Controller-RS3DC080 RS3DC080 (8 internal ports) 12Gb/s and shows as compatible with the S1200SPLR at ark.intel.com:

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
JJoha1
Novice

Please re-review this thread - the current compatibility pages for the S1200SPLR are inaccurate/incomplete therefore you cannot rely on premade guidelines.

I was under the impression that we have come to the conclusion that the S1200SPLR has indeed the same mezzanine module slot functionality/compatibilty as the S1200SPO(R).

The RS3DC080 you mentioned is not a mezzanie form factor card, even if it is not explicitly stated in the documentation you can immediately see this by the product picture:

Also JBOD mode is not the same as the desired IT firmware mode - that is generally supported by the LSI/Broadcom SAS chipset but its functionality depends on the actual installed firmware packages on the SAS controller.

I know that these are more specific questions that may not be addressed in pre-made guidelines for the forum support staff so I would be very grateful if the numbered questions of my previous response could be relayed to the engineering department that handles the Intel SAS controller cards.

Thanks again for your help, also I hope that at some point in the near future the inaccurate/incomplete compatibilty pages for the S1200SPLR will get fixed so other customers won't have to go through the same process.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JBBG,

For your request that will like to only use Mezzanine RAID controller, the thre options available for the S1200SPLR will be:

The first two has the options for JBOD and the last one does not.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JBBG,

I just will like to follow up and verify if the information provided answered your question.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos