Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4750 Discussions

S1200SPLR and DisplayPort / Grafic cards

OWorm
Beginner

Hello everyone,

please excuse me for stumbling in :-) but I do have a question. I would like to set up a server with at least semi-professional grafics/video capabilities and share these with virtual machines/desktops. That brought me to the Intel S1200SPLR board. I wanted to start with a E3-1245 v6 and see how far I got.

However, I recently learned from Intel support that the DisplayPort on the single socket motherboard S1200SPLR isn't working in the way I thought. Only DP to VGA is supported, I was told.

Okay, for what ever it is worth, I would like to know if it is still possible to use a professional grafic adapter (AMD Firepro or Nvidia Qadro or the like) instead in the server board? Further, I would like to know too if the board has to be set to Legacy boot mode or if UEFI will do it?

Kindest regards and thank you!

Oliver Wormer

0 Kudos
18 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Oliver,

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

I understand that you want to know if the Intel® Server Board S1200PLR supports professional graphic cards like the AMD FirePro or Nvidia Quadro.

Let me investigate this as the server board needs to comply with certain specifications for the video card to be installed. I will get back to you as soon as possible with information.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Oliver,

I investigated about this server board and the PCIe cards support. The server board comes with the following:
  • PCIe x4 Gen 3
  • PCIe x8 Gen 3
  • PCIe x16 Gen 3
So when you are going to install a Professional video card you need to me sure it supports any of the above slot types. Also make sure the power supply has the proper connectors for the video card. Legacy boot mode will do it.

If you what to know more about the specs of this server board you can check the Technical Product Specification Document, located https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/S1200SP_TPS_AllSKU.PDF here.

I hope this information helps. Feel free to contact us if you have more questions, more than glad to assist you.

Regards,
0 Kudos
OWorm
Beginner

Hello Jeremiah,

Thank you for your answer!

May I ask if any professional video card has been successfully tested? Maybe there is a list just like there is for memory?

Best regards

Oliver

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Oliver,

Thank you for your quick response.

I was checking the video tested list for this Board, and what I found are only two cards:

(please check attached)

You can always try other video cards but you would need to do your own validation. Intel always recommends using validated hardware to avoid unforeseen issues.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if there is something else I can help you with, more than glad to assist.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support

0 Kudos
OWorm
Beginner

Dear Jeremiah!

Thank you so much! Your reply is very helpful to me!

Oliver Gerd Wormer

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Oliver,

I'm glad to know that the information helps. Please let me know if there is something else I can help you with or if I can proceed in closing this case.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support
0 Kudos
OWorm
Beginner

Jeremiah,

Thank you, this case is really closed, thanks to you!

Oliver Gerd Wormer

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Oliver,

I was happy to help you. Please feel free to contact us for any other future help.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support.

0 Kudos
OWorm
Beginner

Dear Jeremiah!

Unfortunately, the case is still open.

I tried your suggestions and searched for the graphic cards you named me. However, these graphic adapters are gone. It seems this information is related to the former S1200SPL board, without the "R".

I further tried with a quite recent AMD FirePro W7100 and got it to boot - once, but upon restart: The board hangs forever.

Now, you need to know the DisplayPort isn't quite working as expected when I bought the board. Intel case # : 03012319

You might want to bring this cases to the attention of the guys working on next bios update: No DisplayPort, not foreign graphics cards.

Other people her told me DisplayAudio isn't working either.

These issues should be addressed. IMHO, there is a job to do.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Oliver,

I hope you are doing well today.

Thank you for your feedback.

Be aware that on the Intel(R) Server Board S1200SPL or SLPR, the display port is supported from the the processor. A display port to VGA convertor and VGA mux are implemented to VGA output from processor graphics.

Also, when add-in a Graphics card, you need to access the BIOS and set Primary Display option to Add-in graphics or VGA port and set VGA Port option to on-board video or Processor Graphics.

May I know which processor did you install on this board? So I can confirm if it supports graphics.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel(R) Technical Support

0 Kudos
OWorm
Beginner

Dear Jeremiah

Great you are even working on Saturday and answering my question!

The hole story is as follows:

I bought a S1200SPLR, placed it in a P4000XXSFDR and equipped it with a E3-1245 v6. Intended use: server with graphic capabilities for virtual desktops, a AMD FirePro W7100 is ready for use.

Issue one: P4000XXSFDR was noisy as hell. Intel support UK said: Unsupported memory, please change. Mea culpa, I did change. The noise vanished as I flashed the bios and everything with 0301 bios version. I guess this has nothing to do with "unsupported" memory, but these are my 10 ct.

Issue two: Display port display vanished 6 hours after 1st start. Intel support UK said: we change the board.

Board no. 2 came to me. I changed everything. Flashed again to 0301. Display port display vanished some hours after 1st use.

Intel support UK researched and told me:

Intel Customer Support - Case # : 03012319

As previously discussed on the phone, please find below the response of your escalation regarding the issue with your Intel® S1200SPLR server board included the Intel® P4000XXSFDR server chassis and Intel® Xeon™ E5-1245 v6 processor.

After reviewing the technical product specification (TPS) for your Intel® S1200SPLR server board we agree that we do not clearly spell out that only DP to VGA is supported. We are going to suggest a slight change of TPS so it is clear that this is the only supported output.

However, we would suggest you approach your distribution and ask for a refund of the Intel® products you bought. Should you not have any option we can offer a refund for the board only (which has the DP to VGA output limitation).

Okay...DisplayPort is not DisplayPort... interesting learning!

Okay, I keep board, case and processor. I do want to use it and I cannot understand why DP is not working. It is there! Someone thought something about this feature, which is great! Even AMD advertises it now for HPE Micr...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Oliver,

I truly apologize for all these inconvenience.

I will try to run a lab with the server board what we have here to figure out why it is not working for you. I see that the CPU you are using does come with a graphic chip so it should work according to the manual. I will get back to you once I concluded the test.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
OWorm
Beginner

Dear Jeremiah

Thank you! Really very kind from you!

I really appreciate your support and your commitement!

If there is anything needed from my side (serial number or anything else) I will be happy to provide it asap-

Oliver Gerd Wormer

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Oliver,

I red the information from the previous ticket: 03012319. It says that the DP port did work fine at first, even with the board replacement.

I haven't been able to put my hand on a CPU with graphics. I will try running the test with an add-in graphics. I will let you know the results.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Oliver,

We will try to contact you over the phone to expedite the support.

regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
OWorm
Beginner

Dear Jeremiah,

thank you!

+4972314140362

or

+491718192157

REgards

Oliver Gerd Wormer

0 Kudos
OWorm
Beginner

Dear Jeremiah,

Any news?

Oliver Gerd Wormer

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

Hello Oliver,

We are going to contact you directly about this situation and once we have a response we will update this thread.

Best regards,

David A.

0 Kudos