Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S1200SPOR External (PCI-e) display adapter not working

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi

We have connected a PCI-e display adapter (nVidia) inside this server, Windows 10 does not see any new hardware, we do not get any video from this adapter (on boot or Windows), we have the BIOS drivers loaded.

Are there any standards that need to be met in the new card for the system to see it? How can we tell in BIOS if it sees the new adapter?

The card we are testing (Jaton nVidia VIDEO-PX628GS-LP1), works in other Intel boards (DX79xx series).

28 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Ashley,

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

I understand that you are having issues in trying to run an nVidia VIDEO-PX628GS-LP1 on an Intel(R) Server Board S1200SPOR.

Can you please try changing the display options in the BIOS to Add-in card? You can change the setting by doing the following:

- Enter the BIOS (tap on F2 key)

- Go to advanced

- PCI configuration

- Primary Display

- Change it to Add-in Card.

- Press F10 to save changes and exit.

Please try this and let me know your results.

Best regards,

Jeremiah A,

Intel(R) Technical Support

0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

We did see this setting, that didnt seem to work, any other ideas?

This setting in the BIOS appears to be there weather an external card is installed or not, so is there anyway of knowing if the server can even see the card in the PCIe slot? (the DX79xx series could tell you whats in the slots).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for your update.

Based on your results, is it possible to test the server with a different video card? Preferable a Gen 3 video card and x8 link.

Please let me know your results.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

I'll look in to this, it wont be a short term project... i need to find a card (that fits) and isnt to costly then re-visit the problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for your response.

Please let me know your results. I will continue investigating on my end.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Its very likely any card will be the nVidia Quadro series, some are PCI-e gen2 x16 (which clock back to x8). However these are industrial cards so i would hope that have no issues in this server board.

The NVS are good for testing (there now kinda cheap) the goal will likely be the P1000, maybe the P2000 is it will fit (its 7.9 inch long). However for possible testing it will be a way cheaper Quadro card as its money that will be lost..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ashley,

Ok, in the meantime you are trying a different video card I will continue investigating on my end.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

There was a typo above, any card WILL BE a nVidia Quadro series (likely the P1000).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for your clarification. Were you able to run the test with a different video card?

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

I have an nVidia Quadro 600 arriving tomorrow (today Thursday), so will see how it goes.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ashley,

Excellent, please let me know your results.

Regards,

0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi

The nVidia Quadro 600 (made by PNY) works fine. To track some items i have noticed though... I am assuming it wont run at full speed? (is the server PCI-e x16 with only x8 electrical or is it x8 data as well?) the CPU Benchmark result when running the test was faster than when tested in a desktop board with a PCIe x16 connector....

The hardware we used for testing are:

- Intel S1200SPOR (latest firmware)

: BIOS set to use Add-In graphics

: E3-1230 v6 CPU

: Remote Management Module (RMM) installed

: RAID (RMS3CC080)

- nVidia Quadro 600 made by PNY (although this one is a Lenovo part) http://www.nvidia.ca/object/product-quadro-600-us.html Quadro 600 – workstation graphics card for 3D design, styling, visualization, CAD, and more

- Windows 10 Pro

Items i have noticed.

- If the VGA connector is not used then you cant use the RMM remote console (as theirs no video on the VGA connector)

- The RMM remote console will only see what Windows shows on the VGA connector (so if its an extended desktop thats the part you will see only)

- The RMM remote console mouse doesnt work well at all mostly as theirs more than one display (this isn't surprising given the remote RMM console is calibrated for 1 screen only).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for update. It is correct, the Remote Management Module was designed to be use with only one monitor.

Towards your question: " (is the server PCI-e x16 with only x8 electrical or is it x8 data as well?)" it is x8 data as well. Please see attached for more information regards the PCIe specs for this Server Board.

Best regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi

Kinda interesting, the benchmark on the Quadro 600 was faster in this server at x8 than a desktop PCI-e x16 Gen 3 connection...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

So it is working as expected. Good.

0 Kudos
JJoha1
Novice

It doesn't really matter with lower end GPUs if they are connected via PCIe 3.0 x16, x8 or even x4. Even highest-end GPUs still deliver about 75 % of their regular performance in an external Thunderbolt 3 enclosure (Thunderbolt 3 corresponds to PCIe 3.0 x4 with a little more protocol overhead than a "naked" PCIe 3.0 x4 slot).

If it helps you: I'm able to successfully operate a retail PNY Quadro P2000 in PCIe 3.0 x8 mode on my S1200SPLR test system, even using 3 GPUs at the same time (Intel CPU's iGPU, Aspeed 2D adapter and the dedicated P2000), so maybe your tested P1000 has a hardware defect?

0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

HI JBBG

We havnt tested a P1000, we tested the Quadro 600 which worked, the other tested was a small PCI-e x1 card, works perfect on the retail X79 boards, but not on the S1200SPOR board.

However i wanted to use a Quadro P2000, but i cant, it physically wont fit in the 1U chassis, i have to have short cards (no longer than 6.6 inches long) otherwise it hits the USB3 connector on the lower left of the board (as i have a 1U PCI-e riser board in my server).

We will likely use the P1000 (not tested yet), the M2000 is a perfect fit, however it slower then the P1000.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for your update.

I will check into this and get back to you with new information.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ashley,

I'm still investigating about this issue. I will get back to you as I get new information.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ashley,

I hope you are doing well today,

I'm following up with you to see if you were able to do the tests with the other video card?

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos