Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4776 Discussions

S1200SPS ESRT2 causes lots of Event ID 153 warnings

SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello,

I met a strange issue with this board and ESRT2 driver.

For the beginning, I would like to say that, if I do a clean installation of Windows 10 and offer ESRT2 v17 driver and finish installation - all good and no problems.

We have a WDS server for OS installation and if I do a clean installation from there, then there appeard Intel RSTe driver instead, despite the fact I have ESRT2 controller enabled.

The problem appears, when I update this driver to v17 from USB stick and restart the server. Then Event ID 153 with disk warning appears in System Event Log.

Once driver rolled back - all good. I removed all 3d party drivers with DISM and only v17 ESRT2 driver left. Still problem appears.

Seems like there is some kind of conflict with another driver or something else. I have 6 servers right now where this problem appears.

Clean installation of Windows 10 solves the problem, but there should be an easier way to fix it.

Can you give any hint what to try?

regards,

Sergei.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello SergeiAljoshin,

Hope you are doing fine.

It seems that this issue is related to Windows* but to be sure, we would like to take a look a the logs, I will send you an email so you can reply back to me with the logs, or if you do not mind you can post the logs here in the thread.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards.

Charlie_Intel
0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello Charlie!

Thank you for quick reply.

When I do a clean installation, no problems appear.(from USB stick)

As our WDS image contains many different drivers (as we are deploying to many different platforms) it takes some older driver for some reason.

I attached logs and some screenshots of drivers it offers.

I believe I have to get rid of all those drivers somehow, but Windows do not allow to delete integrated drivers, only 3d party.

For example I found Intel Optane Memory service (in "stopped" state), but it was never installed there.

Sergei

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SergeiAljoshin,

Can you try using the latest version (18) of the driver which is the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/27032/Intel-Embedded-Server-RAID-Technology-2-ESRT2-RAID-driver-for-Windows-?httpDown=https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27032/eng/ESRT2_1.60_Win_DRV_v18.01.2017.0105.zip Intel® Embedded Server RAID Technology 2 (ESRT2) RAID driver for Windows*?

Please try that option and let us know how it goes.

Best Regards.

Charlie_Intel

0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Already tried that-the same story. Once updated - gives warnings. When roll back to Intel Chipset or RSTe driver - all works fine.

When do a clean installation of Windows 10 and offer v 17 or 18 - all works also well.

I checked with Windows 7 images - all works fine. Will try with clean installation over WDS of Windows 7.

Sergei

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SergeiAljoshin,

According to all the information you provided, we also believe that this issue comes from the Windows 10* image that you are using to install as it is known that a clean installation works fine. It is possible your image may contain a driver that could be generating conflicts.

I recommend you to contact Windows for further software related information.

Best Regards

Charlie_Intel
0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello charlie,

I found the problem!

The problem was, that there was iastorA and iastorAC drivers, which windows preferred to megasr1.inf

When I deleted iastorA and iastorAC drivers - problem disappeared and correct driver installed.

But now the question is, how to remove those files from already installed Windows? they are not in a 3d party list anymore.

regards,

Sergei.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SergeiAljoshin,

Did you try to access the Windows 10* driver folder and delete the driver content?

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iastorav.inf_amd64_e9e1b7ce2ab0e894

You can perform a search with the word ''iaStorA'' in order to find all the files.

Also should delete all the Setup information files in the INF folder.

Best Regards

Charlie_Intel
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SergeiAljoshin,

We would like to know if any of the previously mentioned options feed your needs.

Best Regards

Charlie_Intel
0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello Charlie!

Actually it was quite complicated issue.

First thing was, that there was a driver conflict in WDS server between "achiac.inf" and "megasr1.inf" drivers ( RSTe and LSI).

Once I removed RTSe driver -WDS copying started to work without issues.

What is related to "Disk" warnings, seems like it was phantom issue.

I cloned drive to another SSD using "Macrium Reflect" utility, which seems to do re-trim aswell.

And when I booted cloned drive-all warnings were gone. I cloned back to original drive and warnings were gone aswell.

Seems like trim function issue or something similar.

As we have another servers with the same issue, I will try to run PowerShell script for re-trim ssd.

Basically, if might be closed issue now..

Sergei

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SergeiAljoshin,

We are glad to hear that you found a solution and thank you for sharing your findings it could be helpful for other users.

Best Regards.

Charlie_Intel

0 Kudos