Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

S1200V3RPL 3.02.0002 bios does not allow VT-x properly (Hyper-V won't install)

AMart50
Beginner

Built new server with S1200V3RPL board and Xeon E3-1220. Updated to latest bios 6/15,3.02.0002 and installed Server 2012 R2. Tried to install Hyper-V but it says that virtualization is not enabled in bios. Checked settings, turned off/on, power down/up, clear cmos, tried another CPU, pulled hair, etc. Nothing worked. Flashed bios back to previous version from 5/21/2015 3.01.0002, everything is fine. Looks like a bug in latest bios. We are working on 3.01.0002 bios with no issues but others may run into this without an update. Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
David_A_Intel

I just tested this on our lab system and I was able to replicate the issue. I am reporting this situation to the corresponding parties to follow up this situation.

Thank you for sharing this information and I would like to invite the community to keep sharing any findings and/or comments that may lead to a workaround.

I will post again as soon as I get an update on this.

BSpra1
Beginner

Run into the same trouble on S1200RPS. Some hint for known broken key features on the BIOS download site would be fine.

Roll back to BIOS 03.01.0002 as mentioned by CP_Andrew.

BTW: I am really grumpy on this on. Got the servers with BIOS version 01.04.0002. Same problem there.

0 Kudos
JGay1
Beginner

Is it normal with the new version on a S1200V3RPL to get to the end, and have ReInitializing IPMI Stack..... BMC ReInitialization completed. and just hang right there?

This is at the end of FRUSDR part of the EFI update process.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

To answer your question, the behavior is not normal since the system should restart after the update. If the system just hangs we recommend manually shutting down, reboot the server and enter the BIOS set menu>Server Management>System information to confirm that the updates for all components were applied correctly.

0 Kudos
GKlug1
New Contributor I

Hi CP_Andrew,

this is a known issue on the S1200V3 Boards, but with some testing we where able to find and fix this.

If you follow all those steps, it should work:

1. Take a USB 2.0 Stick and secure that it has no errors

2. Extract the 03.02.0003 Firmware Upate from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25042/Intel-Server-Board-S1200V3RPL-S1200V3RPO-S1200V3RPM-Firmware-Update-Package-for-EFI Intel® Download Center to the USB Stick

3. Update the Firmware (even if you did it before !)

4. Restart the Server

5. Load BIOS-Defaults (and restart again)

6 set VT-x in BIOS (to be sucessfully this needs the server to shout down and restart again)