Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

S1200V3RPL, GbE I350-T2 and SR-IOV

LX1
Beginner

Hi,

I was looking into the S1200V3RPL motherboard and I350-T2 dual port Gigabit Ethernet card for my new ESXi server (Xeon E3 1230v3 processor). I was intrigued by the SR-IOV technique, supported by the I350-T2 network card. However, I could not find definitive answers to a couple of questions.

- Does the S1200V3RPL board support SR-IOV?

If it does, it seems that this setup fullfills all the criteria set in:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-55/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.networking.doc/GUID-EE03DC6F-32CA-42EF-98FC-12FDE06C0BE0.html http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-55/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.networking.doc/GUID-EE03DC6F-32CA-42EF-98FC-12FDE06C0BE0.html

But then the I350-T2 is not listed as supported device using SR-IOV in ESXi 5.5. Does anyone know wether I'd be able to create VF's in ESXi? (Is the device unsupported but working? Or will it just not work alltogether?). I know the device itself is supported in ESXi 5.5, but I specificly need the SR-IOV to work.

Thanks in advance,

Lew

0 Kudos
4 Replies
HSimo2
Novice

Hi Lew,

I have an ESXi 5.5 host with the older S1200BTL motherboard and a v1 Xeon E3. The integrated NIC that ESXi has drivers for is the 82574L but I have a couple i350-T2 cards installed in slots.

I just had a look in the vSphere Web Client and it is showing SR-IOV Status as being Disabled for each i350 based vmnic where the 82574L is showing as "Not supported" so it looks optimistic.

It allowed me to enable SR-IOV but I didn't click OK to confirm the change as it wasn't a good time for me to reboot the host.

Howard

LX1
Beginner

Thank you Howard, very optimistic indeed! One would think that if it works on the older series, it should definitely work on thisone.

0 Kudos
HSimo2
Novice

I would tend to agree unless someone wiser than us says to the contrary.

I just checked a similarly configured ESXi 5.1 host with an I350-T4 and it is showing as not supported but it is currently running igb driver version 4.2.16.3 whereas the 5.5 host is running 5.0.5.1 so likely just a driver issue.

I'll try to get the driver on the 5.1 host upgraded over the next few days and see if the status changes to disabled.

I am now curious to try out SR-IOV myself so will test it this weekend and post back.

0 Kudos
LX1
Beginner

Looking forward to read about your findings, greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos