Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S1200V3RPM - NIC not available during boot

RRudo
Beginner

Hi all,

I have the following problem with my S1200V3RPM board and Server 2012 R2: Right after boot, jRiver MC20 tries to find its library server on the network. At this time the NIC of the board does not seem to be functional yet. After a few retries, MC20 gives up with an error message. When the NIC does become ready, I need to click the 'retry' button in the error message and MC20 immediatedly connects to the library server.

This would not be issue, but I run this machine headless (it's an audio server), controlled with jremote app on an iPad. Now I have to connect to the PC using remote desktop and click the error message away. This is not convenient at all.

Question: Is there any way to configure the NIC in the BIOS or otherwise so that it becomes functional already during the boot process, so jRiver can find its library server as soon as it is launched?

Thanks and best regards

Rudi

0 Kudos
1 Solution
David_A_Intel

The settings in the BIOS for the network card are to Enable/Disable the controller, and also the setting to Enable/Disable Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) which occurs before the operating system loads.

The network card is active even before the Operating System loads. Does this issue only occur with this application? How about other network resources such as Mapped drives?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_A_Intel

The settings in the BIOS for the network card are to Enable/Disable the controller, and also the setting to Enable/Disable Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) which occurs before the operating system loads.

The network card is active even before the Operating System loads. Does this issue only occur with this application? How about other network resources such as Mapped drives?

0 Kudos
RRudo
Beginner

Thanks David,

I will do some more testing and let you know the results.

0 Kudos
RRudo
Beginner

I think I got it working. It did the following:

- Updated the BIOS of the motherboard

- activated both ethernet ports (before only eth1 was active)

This seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Rudi

0 Kudos