Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S1200V3RPM / XEON E3 1265L V3 audio over displayport problem

RRudo
Beginner

Hi all,

I have an Intel S1200V3RPM server board, XEON E3 1275V3 processor (P4600 graphics), which I use as an audio and video streamer.

The only drivers I have been able to install are the 10.18.10.3316 from windows update. All other drivers from the Intel download center (.3316 and .3345) fail to install.

The problem I experience is that I do not have any audio on the HDMI input of my AV receiver. I connect my board via DisplayPort cable -> HP BB937AA adapter -> HDMI cable-> Onkyo PR-SC5507 AV receiver. My PC cannot see the Onkyo as an audio device. Video gets transferred fine.

The HP Displayport - HDMI adapter works fine connecting an HP Elitebook 8570w to the Onkyo, miltichannel HD sound and all.

Thanks for any help, as the video part of my streamer is unusable like this.

RudiV

0 Kudos
12 Replies
GSmit19
Beginner

I don't believe any of the S1200 boards have sound cards.

0 Kudos
RRudo
Beginner

Hi George

It seems to me that the C226 Chipsets does support Intel HD Audio.

Using the S1200V3RPM I have been able to pass sound through a firewire card to a DAC (which acts as a soundcard), so the limitation does not seem to be the motherboard.

Similarly I would like to pass multichannel sound through the displayport / HDMI adapter to the Onkyo receiver (which acts as the soundcard). I have successfully used this setup on an HP Elitebook 8570w, even with HD sound bitstreams.

Can anyone at Intel confirm whether this is possible or not with the S1200V3RPM?

Thanks

Rudi

0 Kudos
RRudo
Beginner

Found the attached documents which

- describes the ins and outs of "audio over displayport"

- list the specs for the P4600 graphics engine

The specs state that the P4600 supports displayport audio. Hence it would seem to me that my problem of not getting displayport audio is probably a driver issue.

I guess Intel engineering would be the competent party to answer this.

Intel, anyone?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Although the processor may support it, the board has never been tested for this function, so no drivers were ever produced by Intel.

0 Kudos
RRudo
Beginner

Hi Dan_O,

Could someone please test this function on the board?

There is a whole community building high end audio servers based on the previous (V2) version of this board. Without the audio over displayport functionality in the V3 board, we are a bit stuck.

I have attached the hardware spec of the platform.

Thanks

Rudi

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Rudi -

Sure, I will put that in as a feature request.

0 Kudos
RRudo
Beginner

Hi Dan,

thanks a lot, that's great.

I have been doing a bit of testing with the board in the meantime (Win 8.1 64bit).

- a Dragonfly USB DAC is detected and functions without problems (24bit/96kHz)

- a Weiss Firewire Audio Interface (INT203) is detected (through a firewire card) and works without problems (24bit/192kHz)

- it's just the Onkyo AVR audio device connected through the displayport that is not detected. The projector that is connected to the Onkyo AVR (via displayport) is seen by the board and video can be streamed without any problems.

It looks to me like the capabilities of the displayport are somehow not fully described in the bios / firmware.

How do I learn whether the request has been considered?

Best regards

Rudi

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Hello, Rudi -

Engineering has said they will not be developing drivers to make this work.

I wish I had better news for you.

- Daniel

0 Kudos
RRudo
Beginner

Hi Dan,

thanks, I have now relegated the S1200V3RPM board to stereo only audio use, which works fine. I have built a multichannel Audio streamer using an ASUS board which works fine also.

Thanks for your support

best regards

Rudi

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

I will pass this information to the support team to be aware of this solution for us to share it with other customers. Your feedback is always appreciated!

0 Kudos
RRudo
Beginner

Hi,

I was just wondering if by any chance there has been any development in this issue since the last post.

I would like to use my S1200V3RPM for an audio / video PC and in this context audio over the display port out is needed.

Grateful for a quick feedback.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RRudo
Beginner

I noticed that the XEON E3 1265L V3 only lists HD Graphics in the datasheet and not P4600. Could this be the reason for the problem?

Wondering whether using an E3 1226 V3 or E3 1276 V3 would solve the problem? Their datasheets indicate a P4600 graphics engine.

0 Kudos