Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4302 Discussions

S1200v3rp Raid 1 setup with two partitioned 2TB Hard Drives

DMill13
Beginner

We typically use a simple RAID 1 configuration with 2 hard driives, and a System/Data partition, with the obvious goal of being able to continue operating if one drive fails. Our latest system shows two RAID Arrays: Partition 1 (System) was created (Array 00), and then the RAID configured, and then Partition 2 (Data/Shares) was created and this became Array 1. Disk Management shows a Disk 0 (500GB) and a Disk 1 (1.5TB), so Windows Server thinks that the partitioned drive is actually two separate disks. If this is a good way to configure the system I'd like to know; remember our only goal is to have redundancy in the event of a single hard drive failure. If not I'd like to know about it before it goes into production. Thx in advance!

5 Replies
AP16
Valued Contributor III

You shure, that are two arrays created, not two LUNs? Just enter into Intel RAID utility at boot (CTrl+I usually) and check, how much arrays present there. If one RAID1 array and two LUNs, its OK, if two arrays, that is possible a Matrix RAID configuration, where multiple arrays can be created on one disk set, although this should work too, i.e. if one drive dead, system still bootable.

idata
Community Manager

Hello,

Please let us know which Embedded RAID solution( RSTe or ESRT2) you are using to configure the array.

DMill13
Beginner

BIOS/RAID Console in Windows says Intel Server Embedded RAID Technology II

AP16
Valued Contributor III

Can you provide us two screenshots of Windows RAID Console: 'Physical view/layout' and 'Logical view/layout' ?

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

According to the information provided, the RAID 1 configuration has been done properly and there is no reason to be concerned since you will have redundancy for both partitions in the event of a single hard drive failure. Basically, that is the way how Windows Disk mManagement sees the RAID 1.