Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S2600-CP2 vmware ESXi 5.5 hangs on ACPI initialization -- Boot loop

JFox4
Beginner

Hi all,

I recently upgraded the firmware of a working S2600CP2 server running VMWare ESXi 5.5 build 1474528 and VMWare now gets stuck on the initialization of ACPI. After about a minute or two of being stuck on the initialization of ACPI, the server reboots as if the reset button was pushed on the front of the server, basically resulting in a boot-loop.

System BIOS - 02.02.0002

ME Firmware - 02.01.07.328

BMC Firmware - 01.20 r5446

FRUSDR - 1.10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23610&keyword=S2600Cp&lang=eng https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23610&keyword=S2600Cp&lang=eng

Here is a screenshot of the server info after the upgradepboot

Vmware hang screen-shot

0 Kudos
25 Replies
JFox4
Beginner

I have successfully downgraded the server firmware back to the version that was previously installed and VMWare is now able to boot.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23204&keyword=S2600CP&lang=eng https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23204&keyword=S2600CP&lang=eng

There is definitely something incompatible going on between the the newest update and VMWare ESXi 5.5 build 1474528.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

How long ago did you try the update? Could you provide more details of the configuration you have on this system?

The reason I ask is that I would see if I can get a similar configuration to provide feedback about this matter.

I would like to note that the most recent version of the BIOS is https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24612 02.04.0003. I just tried the installation on my end with this BIOS version and it loaded just fine.

0 Kudos
IBonn
Beginner

Greetings,

Nice description and explanation of the events.....

My only comment is that with the new Server boards , Intel have changed some of the keys on the keyboard.... but the result and description is 100 % correct..

This issue is also present on the newly released S2600CW server board using the pompano (4channel) raid card. (purchased 5 jan 2015)

It seems as if the new Intel boards DO NOT support VMware 5.5 ESXI although the Intel released documentation states differently..

I have also tried using different raid cards (big laurel) , upgraded bioses to latest release, but only when I downgraded to the older generation server board did esxi 5.5 start to load / operate correctly.

I would have thought as virtualisation is the standard now in datacenter's and server rooms, Intel would have designed and tested this newly released server board range with VMware correctly....

Looks like I shall be returning this server for credit and moving to another board manufacturer..

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

Do you get the same exact error message as described by @MyCrowave?

Could you provide us with more details as far as BIOS versions you might have used for this install?

0 Kudos
RBabu3
Beginner

@Ianbonn

Even i am facing the same issue, can you tell me how did you over come this.

BMC FW Build Time :2014-09-26 17:10:41BIOS ID :SE5C610.86B.01.01.0005.101720141054BMC FW Rev :1.07.6909Boot FW Rev :1.04SDR Package Version :SDR Package 1.05Mgmt Engine (ME) FW Rev :03.00.07.114Baseboard Serial Number :FWCT44350284
0 Kudos
JFox4
Beginner

I had this problem in February of 2014. Basically, the date of the post is the date that I tried to perform the upgrade.

This problem has never been fixed, that I am aware of. At the time that I performed this upgrade I did not have a RAID card in the server.

The only way that I could recover from the problem was to downgrade the server firmware to the prior release. Since then I have not tried to update the firmware. I was hoping to hear about a fix through this thread before wasting my time again.

I am surprised that there is interest in this thread almost 1 year later. I had given up and almost forgot about this thread until I got the notice today.

FWIW, I also posted the same thing on the VMWare support boards and got crickets over there as well.

I wish that I had more to offer, but unfortunately, I don't.

I am hopeful that there is some renewed interest in this and that they will finally work on fixing it.

0 Kudos
IBonn
Beginner

Hi MyCroWave,

well after a full week of back and fro from Intel premier support,,, it seems as if the ticket is again logged...

Although this solution that is used is supposed to have been the "latest main board " release from Intel... (new s2600Cw - cotton wood server board)

According to my suppliers, this was only released a few weeks (+- 6 weeks) ago....

but no luck,, please see my other post re comments received from intel via the disti...

0 Kudos
RBabu3
Beginner

ianbonn

can you please share the link for the same.

0 Kudos
OW
Novice

Just get the answer in the vmware community forum:

In BIOS > Advanced > PCI configuration > MMIO above 4GB > disable

Tested with s2600CW2 - ESXi 5.5.0 U2

0 Kudos
JFox4
Beginner

While the post by viwedis might be the correct answer for a S2600CW2 system board, that setting did not fix the problem on the S2600CP2 system board. I still have the problem. Since this thread is about S2600CP2 I believe that it is misleading to indicate that the fix for the S2600CW2 will fix the S2600CP2.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

It is correct; in the event you have an Intel® Server Board S2600CW you may follow this topic /thread/59556 here.

0 Kudos
RBabu3
Beginner

HI iambo,

Were able to fix this issue?

0 Kudos
IBonn
Beginner

Hi Ramachandran,

after a week of to and fro from Intel, still no answers confirming a working solution.. what does seem to have come out was "no really support on VMware is done by intel"..

I made the decision to return the server to the disti, and then switch to another Brand that it certified on the VMware website..

I am busy with the install and shall post my success / failure in a few hours... - at this time all systems go...

Just by the way the same technology main board and v3 (haswell) processors as in the intel solution is being used..

0 Kudos
RBabu3
Beginner

MyCroWave

I am using Intel S2600CW2 with the BIOS Version SE5C610.86B.01.01.0005.101720141054, 32GB RAM, 120GB SSD as AHCI. While trying to install ESX5.x during yellow screen the server automatically reboots after initializing ACPI.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24375 Intel® Download Center

Can someone help me on this, I need to complete this ESX installation today.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

Ramachandran

I would recommend our http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Intel® Customer Support team to expedite the resolution of this case.

0 Kudos
RBabu3
Beginner

David_Intel

I have already logged a case with them.

Is there any other workaround possible?

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

Are you able to make these BIOS changes? I just received a report from one of our clients and it seems that he was able to install the Operating System just fine after these changes.

0 Kudos
RBabu3
Beginner

Goutam: Hello. Thank you for using the Intel Customer Chat Support service. We are glad to be of service. How may I help you?

Ramachandran: Hello Goutam

Goutam: Hello Ramachandran, Good morning.

Ramachandran: what is the ststus of my existing ticket?

Goutam: Kindly stay online for 2 -3 minutes while I check the required information for you.

Ramachandran: sure

Goutam: Thank you for staying online, I appreciate your patience.

Goutam: Mr.Chandran, from the previous chat interaction, I understood that you were not able to install VMWare ESXi server 5.5 on S2600CW board, am I correct?

Goutam: Mr.Chandran, are we connected?

Ramachandran: yes

Goutam: Okay. Are you at the front of the server right now?

Goutam: If Yes, could you restart / start the server and boot into BIOS?

Ramachandran: give me a min

Goutam: Sure.

Ramachandran: yes tell me

Ramachandran: ok i am rebooting the server

Ramachandran: what configuration do you want me to change in the BIOS

Goutam: In BIOS, you need to disable MMIO above 4B feature. i.e., BIOS > Advance > PCI configuration> MMIO above 4GB > disable.

Goutam: May I know how many hard drives have you connected? May I know the hard drive capacity and maker?

Ramachandran: i have connected only 1 SSD

<span class="visitorNa...

0 Kudos
JMinn1
Beginner

Thanks, your chat with Intel support had all the clues, but it took me 20+ tries to pick up the key points I ended up with this more elaborate script.

Highlighted the key points.

Issue: ESXi 5.5 upd 2 does not install on S2600CP4 with 'EFI optimized boot', hangs in boot on Initializing ACPI.

Use build VMware-VMvisor-Installer-201501001-2403361.x86_64.iso

Target HDD on onboard SATA-2 (white connector), all adapters pulled

BIOS: F9 reset

Advanced > Processor configuration> leave Processor C3 disabled, enable Processor VT-x options

Advanced > PCI configuration > Memory Mapped IO above 4GB: disabled

NIC configuration > disable Port2, Port4, Port3 PXE

Boot options > EFI optimized boot: enabled

Boot ESXi ISO via UEFI CD-ROM

Install as usual, update to build 2456374 via patch ESXi550-201504001.zip

re-install adapters

0 Kudos
NGout
Beginner

Hello MyCroWave,

I would recommend you to change the monitor from CRT to LCD and check are you facing same issue or not. Later update the latest firmware to 02.04.0003 (Latest). You could download latest firmware from below URL:

Latest firmware: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24612 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24612

0 Kudos