Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S2600CP CPU Fan Control

idata
Employee

I just built a new server with a S2600CP motherboard, Xeon E5 CPU and BXSTS100C Cooler. It's all up and running quite well, but the CPU fan is LOUD!. It's obviously running at full speed, as you can hear it step up during the boot process. The cooling fins are almost cold due to the high air flow, is there some way to lower the fans speed and ths reduce the noise coming from this thing?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

You should use BXSTS200C instead of BXSTS100C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

STS100C is designed for Xeon 5500/5600 series. It's mechanically different from STS200C, because the entire socket is different.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Aha..In that case I have a STS200C, becuase it fits the E5 nd board prefectly.

Can you shed any light on the fan control issue?

thanks

Ron

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Are you sure it's a STS200C? Better check the part number of the fan.

As for the fan control, first please update the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21552 BIOS/firmware. I suppose you don't use an Intel chassis, so in the FRU/SDR section select "Other" and choose correct fan headers you have connected. After that use the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21003 SELViewer to check if there are any errors logged.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi

I can't find the FRU/SDR section in the BIOS, can you enlighten me as to its location?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ron,

I think the reference to FRU/SDR was meaning, when you run the BIOS upgrade, there is a section for FRU/SDR settings to be configured. Since, the BIOS package will update not only BIOS but FRU/SDR and ME as well.

Jason

P.S. you can often see FRU/SDR version in the BIOS, but no settings are configurable there.

0 Kudos
MShag
Beginner

will i loose my extended raid when i updated a BIOS?

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

No. But before you do anything, a backup of important data is always recommended.

0 Kudos
MShag
Beginner

but cpu fan is ok, i have trouble with fans which are blowing to the HDD, they are working with full speed

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

All fans are controlled by BMC. what kind of chassis are you using?

0 Kudos
MShag
Beginner

I'm use a intel p4000cp case. And it has a default fans.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

P4000CP system comes with two passive heatsinks (AUPSRCBTP), so there are no CPU fans. You may also want to check if the fans are connected to the correct fan headers. See page 2 of the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-033239.htm Quick Start Guide. Once all fans are connected properly, apply latest BIOS/FW.

Also notice the system fans are not blowing TO the HDD. The air flow goes from front to the rear of the chassis.

0 Kudos
MShag
Beginner

All system fans are connected properly. but fan socket is large than fan connector.

0 Kudos
jps
Beginner

Hi,

As I have a similar issue with main front fans (upper one) blowing at full speed all the time I'd like to ask about active heatsinks (Intel AUPSRCBTA) if they can be used for my system or how to provide correctly them to it.

The system is build with:

2 x E5-2667v2

P4308 XXMHEN

S2600CP BPA E99552-508

BIOS ver SE5C600.86B.02.02.0002.122320131210

BMC Firmware ver. 1.20.5446

SDR ver. SDR Package 1.0

ME Firmware ver. 2.1.7.328

Platform ID: S2600CP

On every day basis we do a lot of high performance computing, loading our workstations at full nearly all time. So we would like to reduce the main fans noice lovering the CPU's temperetures by changing the passive to active heatsinks which would fit to the airflow duct. we have tried to run with one CPU on the board (for other test's reason) with one active radiator, but the noise picked up to a vary high level and stays at it after booting.

what to do (I'm not a IT guy).

regards

janusz

0 Kudos