Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S2600CP, problems using all 8 Blue SAS/SATA ports in SATA mode

LMath3
Beginner

I have a S2600CP board (latest firmware, 2.05.004) in a Intel P4308XXMHGC Case.

There are 6 WD 600GB VelociRaptor *SATA* drives in the two Hotswap Disk enclosures, They are connected via two MiniSAS->4 SATA cables to the 8 Blue SATA/SAS ports.

Op.Sys. I Proxmox 3.4 (Debian Wheezy), kernel 3.10

The first four drives are correctly detected and usable, but the next two drives, which are on Blue ports 5 & 6 are not seen at all. Have tried all controller modes (RSTe, ESRT2).

It was my understanding that in SATA mode all 8 ports were available

Have put in a C600 upgrade key (RKSATA8) but that made no difference. However the BIOS showed no Comtroller Modules installed, so maybe there is a problem there.

Any suggestions?

thanks - Lindsay.

Edited: Corrected MB Model typo

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Lindsay,

Here are our recommendations for this issue:

- Make sure that the RAID activation key is properly seat.

- Power cycle the system by removing the power cable and pressing the power button for 10 seconds.

- Clear the CMOS battery by removing it for one minute.

- Swap cables.

If the issue persists, we recommend replacing the RAID activation key under warranty.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Lindsay,

Here are our recommendations for this issue:

- Make sure that the RAID activation key is properly seat.

- Power cycle the system by removing the power cable and pressing the power button for 10 seconds.

- Clear the CMOS battery by removing it for one minute.

- Swap cables.

If the issue persists, we recommend replacing the RAID activation key under warranty.

LMath3
Beginner

Thanks Dan, I will try that tonight. Due to resource shortages we had to push the box into use using shared storage and my access is limited to after hours

Also I will double check the cables - the first cable is the one that came with the case, the second is a generic MiniSAS->SATA cable we brought. Is there a recommended spec for the cable?

0 Kudos
LMath3
Beginner

Finally got some time to do more testing Several things

- The key appears to be ok. Resetting the bios etc made no difference, nothing appeared under "Storage Module" in the BIOS, but maybe I'm misreading its purpose? ANyway, on boot with the key in it lists 8 SATA ports in the post, with the key out it only lists 4, so I think its working.

As to why I can't list drives on the 2nd 4 ports, I believe that is a cable problem. MiniSAS->SATA Fans have a direction, Host->Target or visa versa. 99% of the time the SAS controller is the HOST but in this case (Backplane to SATA controller) the SATA ends are the Host so a I need a "MiniSAS Reverse Breakout" cable, which I have on order. Will let you know how that goes.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Lindsay,

Please keep us updated on the ticket. The "nothing appeared under Storage Module" means that you do not have a hardware RAID controller installed so in your specific configuration is complete expected and normal. Any miniSAS to SATA cable should work fine but is good troubleshooting to test a different one just in case.

0 Kudos