Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S2600CP2 and Fan Noise

luser
Beginner

Hi,

I just build a server with S2600CP2 motherboard and P4308XXMHGC 4U Pedestal Chassis.

I did not update the BIOS.I found that BISO version is 01.08.0003 which is the latest BIOS.

However, under server management, it does not detect the Chassis. It make a loud noise.

I checked the fan connection and changed the acoustic setting. Please check the attached picture.

I was wondering do I need to run the bios update again ?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Since all the installed firmware versions are latest, you don't need to run everything again. Just run FRUSDR update by running FRUSDR.nsh under UEFI.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Also make sure the fans are connected to the correct header. For your chassis, they should go to SYS FAN 1-5.

0 Kudos
luser
Beginner

Hi Edward,

I checked the fan connection and run the FRUSDR.nsh(twice). Still the system fans run 100%. I run the BIOS&other package twice. Did it damage the BIOS ?

I did not get any error message during update. Now, I can see red light on system_fan3 and heard 3/4 beeps.

Also, now the front panel is blinking. Please check the attached pictures.

Not sure what to do. Please help.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

The chassis is correctly detected. Apparently FAN_3 is having problem. You may try to move the fan to other slots and see if the red LED goes with the fan. Also try to swap the FAN connectors on the board, for example FAN_3 and FAN_4. This will tell you which part is causing the issue.

You can also download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22674&keyword=sysinfo&DownloadType=Utilities%2c+Tools+and+Examples&lang=eng Intel System Information Retrieval Utility. The log files may tell you what's wrong.

0 Kudos
luser
Beginner

Hi Edward,

Thanks for reply. I have changed the fan slots and red light goes with the fan. I also changed the sysfan connection and still I see it is showing the red light. I have upload the log-files on Mediafire. Link

http://www.mediafire.com/?l261u5o25o2aaj3 http://www.mediafire.com/?l261u5o25o2aaj3

Could you please check the files?

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

If the red light goes with the fan then you may need to get the fan replaced.

0 Kudos
luser
Beginner

I am going to replace the fan (FUPMLHSFAN) soon. I was wondering is there any thing else I need to fix ?

is it the only reason why the fans are running 100%?

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Besides System Fan 2 reading is 0.00, PS2 is not plugged into a power source.

I also notice a lot of BMC FW Health sensor errors like this:

611 04/28/2013-15:18:48 Management Subsystem Health, BMC FW Health (# 0x10) Warning event: BMC FW Health reports the sensor has failed and may not be providing a valid reading. Integrated BMC - LUN# 0 (Channel# 0)

Once you have the fan replaced, clear the SEL, restart the system, and check the log again. If you still see the same error, maybe it's a board failure.

0 Kudos
luser
Beginner
0 Kudos
luser
Beginner

I am using Intel Xeon E5-2620 and Intel AUPSRCBTP Heat Sink. Could you please check whether heatsink direction is ok ot not ?

Also, When I attached the airduct,close the case and start the server, after some time I see red light on status

Without airduct it show gren light on status(!)

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

There are CPU 1 thermal errors reported in the SEL. Heatsink direction seems correct, but air duct is not properly installed. See the attached picture. Notice the two latches in red circles.

0 Kudos
luser
Beginner

Thanks Edward. I have fixed the airduct and close the case. The status light turned red after some time and blinking.Then I run the BIOS update again. Here is the log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dd2r6bcnd71zgu4/LogFiles_5may13.zip https://www.dropbox.com/s/dd2r6bcnd71zgu4/LogFiles_5may13.zip

Could you please suggest what to do?

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Again CPU1 is getting hot. I would double check the installation of the heatsink, and make sure the air flow is not blocked by anything. Pay attention to cable routing - no cable should go between fans and CPU heatsink.

0 Kudos
luser
Beginner

I have reinstalled the CPU heatsink.It is fixed now. Thanks a lot Edward.

0 Kudos
jps
Beginner

Hello,

As I dont want to make a new thread I'm posting here.

We have two Intel based workstations build on S2600CP mainboards and P4000 chassis. But we have some noice issues form the very beggining. Comparing to other workstations those two are much noiser and less comfortable to be around. What we do in our office, are some CFD parrarel simulations on all available cores.

The other issue is that the stock heatsink's base is around 15-20% smaller than the processor top metal plate which obviously doesn't help. In fact we plan to upgread at least one of the workstation with even 12 core processors which will result in higher temperature output.

We have installed 2 passive heatsinks (AUPSRCBTP) and an air duct. The question is: Would changing the passive (AUPSRCBTP) to active heatsinks (AUPSRCBTA) make any diffrence and could be done without any configuration troubles? Will the main fans work at lower rpm when cpu fans are on? 

Any advice in that matter will be appreciated.

The details of the newer (noiser) workstation is:

Chipset:

Northbridge Intel Sandy Bridge-E rev. 07

Southbridge Intel C602 rev. 06

Mainboard Model S2600CP (0x000001AE - 0x005368B0)

DMI Baseboard Revision E99552-510

Serial QSCP34300402

Chassis P4308CP4MHEN

Processors 2x E5-2690 v1

Older (lil bit less noise) workstation:

Chipset

Northbridge Intel Ivy Bridge-E rev. 04

Southbridge Intel X79 rev. 06

Mainboard Model S2600CP (0x000001AE - 0x005368B0)

DMI Baseboard Revision E99552-508

Serial QSCP24100114

DMI BIOS version SE5C600.86B.02.02.0002.122320131210

date 12/23/2013 (will be updated)

Processors 2x E5-2667 v2

regards

janusz

0 Kudos