Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4776 Discussions

S2600GL CATERR Debugging

EJobl
Beginner

An S2600GL motherboard in my possession died. I'm at a loss as to what went wrong. I understand that the support period is probably expired, not sure about my support options but i figured i'd reach out.

It appears none of the major rails have any issues, but I just get no CPU vcore (it's not shorted, i checked =P), rest of the rails come up for about 0.6-0.9 seconds, it blips the CATERR LED twice, power cycles, then does it again.

Not sure how to continue without reversing the board and reading the C602 and relevant CPU datasheet. I thought it might be fun trying to go further, I figured it might be worthwhile gaining familiarity on a hardware/electrical level with intel server boards.

I enjoyed the level of documentation in the technical product specification, not sure whether there's any further board level information available. I'm curious as to why J4E2 is populated on both boards i have but does not appear to be mentioned anywhere?

I've used another board and verified the RAM, CPU's and PSU's are fine. BMC boots on the faulty board if that helps.

At a glance it appears the S2600WFQ, S2600WFT, S2600WF0 and S2600WT have the same/similar mechanical specifications? I'd like to confirm that's an upgrade path if boards keep dying?

Cheers.

Ed: grammar.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello ntlsc,

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

I understand that you an Intel(R) Board S2600GL, with CATERR error, and it is not responding, even after troubleshooting.

In regards to you question, if the Sever boards S2600WFQ, S2600WFT, S2600WF0 and S2600WT are the upgrade path.

These boards can be a good option for upgrading, but you need to keep in mind that these new MB are using different chipset and CPU compatibility, so most likely the CPU and memory what you are currently using will not be compatible if you decide to use one of these.

I hope this information helps.

If you have any question, please let me know.

Best regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel(R) Technical Support

0 Kudos
EJobl
Beginner

Regarding further questions, there are the ones of a more technical variety so i can figure out what exactly went wrong.

Newer technical product specifications say you need to get board schematics for intel for pinouts of the onboard connectors, and says NDA required. Not sure about what i'd need for this older motherboard, I'm assuming similar?

If we're focusing specifically on upgrade path questions, I acknowledge that the supported motherboards are DDR4 and 2011-v3 or LGA3647 boards. It appears that they support the same PSU's

Specifically regarding an upgrade path to xeon v3/v4 and xeon scalable, the question is whether they are mechanically compatible. I only glanced cursorily at the mechanical drawings and power supply pinout. It looks like the mounting spots are in the same place except for the one close to the RMM4 port and the two lowest, near the fan connectors. Looks like the S2600WF for example is 0.55 inches longer, and the holes have a diameter of 0.17" as opposed to 0.156". Looks like secondary keepout zones are comparable and shouldn't be a problem. Primary side height restrictions is a mix of metric in one and imperial in the other so i haven't done the conversions yet.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ntlsc,

Good question.

Let me check on that and get back to you as soon as possible with new information.

Your patience is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ntlsc,

I'm still investigating about your last inquiry. In the meantime I wanted to confirm; have you tried other troubleshooting on this Server Board, like clearing the CMOS?

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ntlsc,

I'm still investigating about your last inquiry. In the meantime I wanted to confirm; have you tried other troubleshooting on this Server Board, like clearing the CMOS?

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
EJobl
Beginner

Hi Jeremiah.

I can confirm that I reset the CMOS settings using the appropriate jumper on the motherboard to no effect, which made me think that it is a hardware issue. Without a schematic or additional hardware debugging tips I'm going to write the board off. I no longer have the dead board readily on hand, it's now in long term storage in case i need it as a parts donor for other motherboards.

I await further details about compatibility with newer Intel system boards.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ntlsc,

I hope you are doing today.

Thank you for your update.

In an effort to better assist you, may I have the model of the CPU you are using in order to verify the compatibility of the same with the Server boards you mentioned?

If you have any question, please let me know.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
EJobl
Beginner

Hi Jeremiah.

CPU's shouldn't be a problem.

CPU's I have available to test with are e5 4620's.

These CPU's work fine on the same model motherboard.

They were also working in the faulty motherboard before failure.

I tested the CPU's afterward in another motherboard so it's not CPU failure.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ntlsc,

The CPU information is to verify the compatibility with the server boards you mentioned.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ntlsc,

The CPU information is to verify the compatibility with the server boards you mentioned.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I hope you are doing well today.

I was able to check this processor and boards using C60x series chipset are compatible with it, so you are good to use the boards you mentioned at first.

I hope information helps clarifying your inquiry.

Best regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I'm following up with you to see if the information provided helped or if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Best regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I'm following up with you to see if the information provided helped or if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Best regards,

Jeremiah A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I haven't heard back from you in regards to this case.

I will proceed in closing this case. If you need more assistance from us do not hesitate in contact us again; more than glad to assist you.

Thank you for choosing Intel(R).

Regards,

Jeremiah A.
0 Kudos