Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S2600GZ Build - not booting

JVoig
Beginner

Hello all -

I bought an S2600GZ motherboard a few weeks ago, and while it has failed, I have reinstalled the replacement Intel sent to me. The board does power on, and I am able to get a solid green LED after the fan in the PSU spins up, which is farther than I got with the previous (broken) board. The problem arises when I try to power on the system (crossing the power button and ground jumpers), as the indicator LED goes to solid amber, and the speaker beeps approximately twice per second. No video is shown either through the onboard VGA or through an external GPU. I don't have any fans currently plugged in, as I'm testing the system with passive cooling only. The system is not installed in a server chassis, thus no chassis intrusion header/chassis fans are plugged in. System specs posted below. I am able to unplug the system and get to this step again. Any help?

CPUs - 2x Xeon E5-2670

RAM - 4x 8GB Samsung ECC (on verified list)

GPU - EVGA GT 210

SSD - 1x Intel 120GB (Ubuntu server installed)

PSU - 750w Intel server

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

Does the system reach the POST?

Based in the information you provided, I would recommend to try basic configuration with only one processor and one memory module. It would be great to know what the beep code is, if there is any pattern.

faugub_intel 

# iwork4intel

0 Kudos
JVoig
Beginner

I'm unsure how to determine whether the system is POST-ing or not, as there is no video out. Note that this is not when the power button is pressed, but rather when the system is powered on. Below is a list of what I have tried and results:

- 2 CPUs installed, no RAM - solid green light when powering on

- 2 CPUs installed, 1 DIMM - solid green light when powering on

- CPU 1 installed, no RAM - solid green light when powering on

- CPU 1 installed, 1 DIMM - solid green light when powering on

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Thank you for sharing those results.

It seems this is more a display problem. I would like to recommend the following:

Pin 12 in the VGA Cable port is either missing or not present, and front panel pins on Intel® Server Board S2600GL has an ID pin. Monitor manufacturers usually use pin 12 for another signal, and it interferes with the VGA port.

0 Kudos
JVoig
Beginner

Thanks for the help, although I'm not really seeing any progress. I am not sure how to get a video signal from the front panel, as I do not have an adapter for that purpose. Below are more testing results:

- 1 CPU, 1 DIMM, GPU -> HDMI -> TV = no signal, solid green light

- 1 CPU, 1 DIMM, GPU -> VGA -> Monitor = same as above

- 1 CPU, 1 DIMM, GPU -> DVI -> VGA -> Monitor = same as above

- 1 CPU, 1 DIMM, Integrated -> VGA -> TV = same as above

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Have you tried just the regular configuration integrated VGA to VGA monitor?

Regards,

faugub_intel # iwork4intel
0 Kudos
JVoig
Beginner

I have tried the integrated VGA out to what I believe is a standard VGA monitor. (Dell E153FPb)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Thank you for those details.

For further assistance on your inquiry please contact our support directly:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @14 Intel® Servers Support

You will receive an email with a case number as reference for your situation.

faugub_intel # iwork4intel

0 Kudos