Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4776 Discussions

S2600GZ power redundancy fault reported but both PSUs working

Rvand3
Beginner

We recently acquired a R2312GZ4GCSAS server which I have rebuilt with a new OS, drivers, etc. However, I noticed a flashing warning light on the front panel and upon investigation I discovered that the server sensors think that the two PSUs are not redundant. I performed a test by removing the power cable from each PSU in turn and the server handled running off a single PSU fine. I know it detected the power cable being removed because the fans spun up each time and returned to normal when the power cable was replaced.

How does the server determine if the PSUs are redundant and what can be done to fix what appears to be an erroneous message?

ASC also shows an "!" on the power icon but all SEL events are closed.

Server: Intel Server System R2312GZ4GCSAS

CPUs: 2 x Intel E5 2620 v2

RAM: 16GB

BIOS: latest version applied (SE5C600.86B.02.06.0005.080320162159)

BMC: latest version applied (1.27.9958)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

We understand that sometimes is hard to determine power supply issues. We would like to know if you have the power supplies directly connected to the power outlet or they are in a UPS since that may be confusing the power signal to the sensors.

We understand that you have the latest BIOS and BMC; but we would like to know what version of the Sensor Data Records (SDR) is currently running on the system. Do you remember if you ran this part of the firmware update package?

Regards,

Steven V.

0 Kudos
Rvand3
Beginner

Hi Steven

We have the server currently sitting on a workbench in our office. Its power supplies are directly connected to power sockets and there is no UPS protecting those sockets as far as I am aware.

I chose option 3, to install both the SDR and FRU when I performed the BIOS update with the OFU.

Kind regards and thanks

Ryan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If you recently updated the firmware, let's try by performing full power cycle to the system, meaning unplugging the power cables from the socket then press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.

This will drain out the energy and reset the BMC, try again after those steps and if by any chance you are still having issues we would like to check the entire logs of the system for you so we can get to the root cause of this.

Here is the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25437/Intel-System-Information-Retrieval-Utility-SysInfo-?product=77886 system information retrieval utility just in case
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We would like to follow up on this matter, were you able to try steps provided before?

Please do not hesitate in contacting us if you need further assistance.

Steven V.

0 Kudos