Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

S2600IP4 Motherboard SAS and SATA mixed disk setup

MDork
Beginner

Hello,

We have an S2600IP4 motherboard with the on board C602 SATA/SAS controller. We would like to install 2 SAS 8Tbyte disks and keep the current 2 SATA disks.

If we buy the RKSAS8R5 (Purple) Upgrade key which is supporting 8 SAS disks, will we able to use the controller in mixed mode (2 SAS and 2 SATA disks)? We don't want to build RAID on these mixed disks, Just 1 RAID on SAS disks and another one on SATA disks separately.

Could someone please help us, is it possible to mix the drives on the same contoroller if the Upgrade key installed?

Thank you.

Maxim

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello maximdorko,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

You shouldn't have any problems with having them coexist together on the same board as each port is configurable separately, just bear in mind that on board solutions like RSTE or ESRT2 don't support SAS, meaning you might have to set them as stand alone and them manage them from the OS or use them as legacy .

For specifics please refer to section 3.3.4 of the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/g34153004_s2600ip_w2600cr_tps_rev151.pdf Technical Specification Guide for this board family.

If this helps you with your questions or if further assistance is needed please let me know.

Kenneth R.

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
MDork
Beginner

Thank you for the quick answer, it means, we should look for an external controller card, since we would like to use hardware raid solution.

Have a great day.

Maxim

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That will always be the best option when it comes to storage management, in that way you don't actually need to use the board ports as the controller will take the back plane output directly.I'm attaching a list of examples that might help you out with that.

Should you need anything else or if no further assistance is needed please let me know.

Kenneth R.

Itel Customer Support
0 Kudos
MDork
Beginner

Hello Kenneth,

Sorry, I can't see any attachment. Could you please check it?

Thank you.

Maxim

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Maxim,

Seems to be there but I'm sending it to your registered email address just in case, please let me know how it goes.

Regards

Kenneth
0 Kudos
MDork
Beginner

Dear Kenneth,

Thank you, I got it and now I can see it here as well.

Have a great day.

Maxim

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Maxim,

Good to know you got the file, is there any update on your end?

Regards.

Ken
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello maximdorko,

This goes as a follow up, are there any updates on your after the last interaction, is further assistance needed or is it OK to set this trend as resolved?

In any case please let me know, best regards.

Kenneth R.

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello maximdorko,

This goes as a followup after the last interaction, are there any updates in your end, is further assistance needed or can we set this thread as resolved?

Anyway, I'll stay tuned to your comments, best regards.

Kenneth R.

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
MDork
Beginner

Hello Kenneth,

Thank you, you can set the thread to resolved.

We're still considering the possible solutions, but it's rather business decision now and not technical.

Maxim

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you Maxim, Should you need anything else please let us know.

Ken
0 Kudos